• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brushes: Saving a Custom Group Filing System

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just have a small question regarding this.

I learned the hard way that after a period of time, Photoshop CC tends to randomly wipe out any third-party or custom added brushes from the brushes panel. So I now have all brushes I used saved to the Presets folder.

But just out of curiosity, is there any way to "remember" a custom Brushes file system layout? As you can see from the screenshot image below, I have a lot of brush folders sorted by categories. I have a lot more group folders after this. I don't want to have to rename them and resort them everytime Photoshop does a random brush panel wipe. 

BrushesSetup.png

I don't mind stacking them onto a more inner file system, as long as all these brush folders will continue to stay as is, even after a system wipe happens.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to save a custom brushes file system, so that like importing brushes I can import the above group filing system?
  2. If so, where would I need to move all custom labelled brush group folders to, to have Photoshop consider these brushes "Default" and remember them forever? Or what options would I need to select?

Much thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't think so.  You can save a copy of your additional brush sets according to your operating system. So if you use Windows 10 it would be:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets\Brushes

I have had a good look round both the app data and program files folder archives for custom brush group names, but they do not appear.  What I have not checked is whether they are saved in your Creative Cloud file syncing, but I suspect not.  It ought be saved with custom workspaces — it just feels wrong to me that you could put time into setting up a brush group system and lose it at the next version update.  Surely that doesn't happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright thanks. I figured not since I couldn't see any options in the brushes panel. I guess for now I'll setup up a seperate file system in the Presets/backup folder and try for the best. As for the wipe, it often happens whenever an update happens. I only happen to mind it whenever I'm working on a project and need brushes immedately, only to see them suddenly gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis - I agree.  I spent HOURS sorting my brushes into folders on the previous version of PS only to have the folder set up not save, I assumed it was operator error when installing the update.... I've just sorted them all again (it's no mean feat - there's LOTS) and it appears it will only be a thing till the next update ....  the idea of having it saved in the custom workspace is awesome and would solve all my problems!!!  I'll check out the cloud option, seems so weird that PS can do so much but not this.  The other thing - we should be able to colour the folder like you can actions, it would make it so much easier to find stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try saving a copy of  your brushes panel preferences?

(PC) C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings\Brushes.psp

Mac Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings/Brushes.psp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh thank you I did not think of that! I'll give it a go! Someone also suggested just saving the.psp file and this would also retain the folder structure, so another option to try. Fingers crossed this works! Thanks 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines