• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug Photoshop 2020: Select Subject crashes PC

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing the "Select Subject" button crashes my entire PC 100% of the time and forces reboot! Any image, any size and it instantly reboots the PC.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz

32.0GB RAM

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (MSI)

931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Hi All. I think I have a fix to this problem and at least one other, which I have experienced multiple times, coinciding anew with each upgrade to PS 2020, starting in 11/2019 and occcuring again with version 21.2.0, issued in June, 2020.  I have spent many hours with some very patient and helpful tech support people, and I mention Amit Kaul and PushPendra specifically as two of them.  The fix, in a nutshell, seems to lie in file permissions.  Before discovering this I had tried disabling hypert

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the issue you are facing with the Select Subject option.

Would you mind confirming if you have updated Photoshop to the latest version (21.0.1)? If not, please launch the Creative Cloud Desktop application and update Photoshop through it.

Also, please check if all available Windows updates are installed on the computer along with the latest version of the Graphics Processor you are using from the manufacturers website?

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nikunj,

Thank you for your reply. I just verified that the crash is still happening 100% of the time and I have the latest Windows updates, latest graphics driver (441.12), and latest Photoshop 2020 update (21.0.1).

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello "8248842" ,

Our development team has been investigating crashes on Select Subject. We have not yet been able to pinpoint what is causing it on some systems.

Does using the Object Selection tool as a workaround suffice while we figure this out?
Would you be willing to test a fix for us on your system?

Thank you,

Meredith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meredith,

I can definitely use the Object Select Tool for now. If you have I possible fix I can try it out as well. Thanks for helping solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you shed some light on this, is it resolved? I've been experiencing the same crashes - each time I try to use Select Subject it immediately restarts the PC. Specs below: 

Intel Core i9-7920X @ 2.90 GHz
64 GB RAM
2x NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti
Samsung SSD 960 PRO 2TB
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue in Photoshop, any resolutions yet?

It is also happening mid export in Premiere, if that helps pinpoint an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All. I think I have a fix to this problem and at least one other, which I have experienced multiple times, coinciding anew with each upgrade to PS 2020, starting in 11/2019 and occcuring again with version 21.2.0, issued in June, 2020.  I have spent many hours with some very patient and helpful tech support people, and I mention Amit Kaul and PushPendra specifically as two of them.  The fix, in a nutshell, seems to lie in file permissions.  Before discovering this I had tried disabling hyperthreading in BIOS - nada. I reinstalled, reset, otherwise played with the performance settings in PS - nada. I checked and rechecked my video card drivers. No soap.  Then PushPendra went into Windows Explorer (Win 10) and reset the permissions on ALL of the Adobe program files, in both the 64 bit and X86 program directories, as well as the common files in each program directory, and the all of the Adobe files in the Program Files directory. In each case he gave full permissions to all classes of users. Then we went into PS 2020 and tried selecting the subject and it worked over and over again. I reenabled the use of my graphics card using open GL on advanced mode. No problem.  I also tried resizing photos using the preserve details 2.0 feature, which also crashed my computer every time. Again, no problem.  At this point it appears that PS 2020 is finally fully functional on my computer for the first time.  Thank you gentlemen for your efforts. I hope this information helps others. Good luck..  PLW

P.S.   When I re-enabled hyperthreading I discovered that preserve details 2.0 crashed the computer again. Disabling it permitted that feature to work, so there is validity to that workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe says it has fixed the problem, but I am running Photoshop version 21.2.0 and not every time, but frequently, when I use Select Subject the program crashes. Photoshop closes, but my computer remains otherwise OK. I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32 GB RAM, NVIDEA GeForce RTX 2080 ti, and Intel CPU. I believe Adobe claims the problem was fixed, but that is not my experience.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the two fixes I reported earlier this week?  After many hours over separate occasions of similar situations my computer and my PS 2020 are now humming. Specifically, change the permissions of all of the Adobe files in the program directories in both the x86 and the 64 bit directories, including the common directories, and do the same for the files in the program files directories.  Give all users full rights.  Then disable hyperthreading in your BIOS. See if that works to fix your problem..... Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm facing the same issue with you guys here. Here's my PC

i7-9700K

Gigabyte H370-AORUS Gaming WIFI

DDR4-3200 32GB

SSD 500GB

RTX 2070 EVGA

Windows 10 1909 64-bit latest update as of 6/24

Lastest Ps 2020 as I can hit update

Updated NVIDIA GeForce driver --- still crash

Updated mobo BIOS -- still crash

Switched to Intel GPU (removing GPU) -- still crash

Swapped modules of RAMs -- still crash

Give permission for /Adobe/ in Program Files including in x86 -- still crash

I burned and tested with Memtest86+ on Windows, let the rig go 100% full-load for more than 1 hour. It passed.

But I tried to toggle Turbo Boost OFF -- it works! but at the based CPU clock which should not be working as this way.

I will clean all the Windows stuff and update softwares from scratch for another time and maybe try Windows 10 build 2004.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you are fixed, but let me stress that there are five (5) directories, not four (4), in which a change in permissions is involved. In Program Files there is Adobe and Common Files. The same is true for Program Files (x86). Sounds like you got those. In addition, though, you have to also go to Program Data and also change the Adobe permissions.  That fixed my select subject problem. Toggling off my hyperthreading cured my ongoing problems using Preserve Details 2.0 when resizing.  Seven days later and no crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me also add another piece to the puzzle for the benefit of others who may encounter the "select subject" problem. After everything was working well for a week, I got a notice of a driver update from NVIDEA. Foolishly, I udpated the driver using the NVIDEA widget to do so. After it was installed the select subject crash returned immediately!  So I restored my OS to the pre-update state, but got an error message when doing so - something could not be restored and the select subject lock-up continued.  As I was also receiving messages from NVIDEA that I had not previously seen before, I reasoned that it was the NVIDEA contol panel that had been updated and unsuccessfully restored. So on a hunch, I resorted to some other advice I had seen on the Adobe website about optimizing PS performance and I went to the NVIDEA control panel. There I pulled up the "Manage 3D" settings on the left and specific progarm settings on the right.  I added PS as the program and then optimized each setting to run at the highest performance setting available. I saved and applied these settings. Then I tried going to PS, using Preserve Details 2.0 to increase the size of photos and then select subject, and in each case I was back to working without a problem. I also point out that in the performance settings in PS my settings are on the highest available settings. 

So the moral of this postscript is to (1) resist tinkering with video driver updates if your current ones are working, and (2) enable the hightest performance options for your video card in its control settings. I hope this helps.  Face it, PS is major finicky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have acknowledged crash and freeze issue while using the select subject tool in Photoshop and our engineering team working on the fix. You can turn off the Graphics Processor from the Photoshop preferences as a workaround for this issue for now. If you want you can add your vote here for this issue: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-2-select-subject-crashing-freezi...

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1. This update addresses several workflow bugs, crashes, canvas drawing errors and painting issues. To check what's in the 21.2.1 update, refer to the following link: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop.

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for you and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,
Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same issue with Photoshop 22.2. I've tried to reset files permission in Program files (x84 and x64) and Common Files but the program still crashes. 

-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz

-16 GB RAM

-GeForce GTX 960M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try using the NVidea control panel as I suggested earlier? That helped a lot. If PS isn’t a listed program add it and put the highest value setting in. Also, save the current preference in the PS directory under your user on the C Drive and create a new preference. Rename the current presences so that the program won’t see them. If this doesn’t help you can always restore the original preferences.

Good luck.  If none of this works call Adobe support, they are patient and helpful. 

PLW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines