Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Half-transparent gap/line added on the bottom of an image when resizing

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

캡처.PNG

sorry in advance for the poor quality image.

When I resize an image with the black-colored pixels on the bottom, it creates a half-transparent, gray-colored line. It doesn't matter if I make the image bigger or smaller, it makes that empty gap. It's a glitch that has been there since photoshop CC 2017. 
People I know have been manually filling the gap or covering it. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Bug Acknowledged Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

I don't think this is a new behavior. It's a subpixel of interpolation from the transparent pixels off the edges of the floating layer. A background layer won't have this behavior.

CS6: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/92567b9b-b982-4758-4022-f89d03e8655c

CC 2015.5: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/b4e99102-e9c2-4ea5-6bef-5632ce41aeb1

CC 2022: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/b5c4ae1a-7545-4ba2-4032-6aa710054f62

I'll see if this is something we can improve in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I resize a photo, Photoshop is putting a single-pixel semi-transparent border around the entire resized image. In the original image the color goes all the way to the edge of the image and there are no transparent pixels anywhere in the image to begin with. See the enlarged screen capture below, the red arrows point to the top and left border added by Photoshop after sizing it down.

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 3.44.19 PM.jpg

PLEASE FIX THIS, it's a really annoying bug, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We do not work for Adobe, we are just Photoshop users here.

You can report bugs at the link below where they will be seen by developers.https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Photoshop Family Customer Community

although it has been reported previously : Photoshop: Why does resizing a document without a background layer causes transparent pixels on edge...

In the meantime you can work around the issue by adding a background layer (locked). Add a new layer , use Shift +Ctrl+Alt+E to merge a copy of all visible onto it. Move it to the bottom of your layerstack and use Layer > New Background from Layer. Then resize.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 2020 and just came across this bug. I've seen arguments that it's only doing the correct thing as there are no pixels ouside the image and so interpolating the edge pixels can't work properly, but thats a feeble answer from someone who is a developer (PS I am a dev myself). The common sense approach is that this should not happen and is what most people expect and so I would class this as a bug. However, I have found a much simpler solution than the convoluted solution above. Just duplicating the layer and then resizing seems to work. PS My issue was with a single PNG image opened in Photoshop and therefore I only have one layer to start with,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's not a bug, it's a feature". This is part of the broader issue of how Photoshop resizes rectangles. I first came across it back around v7.0. With all due respect to Mr.Cox, it should not be like this. There are two common work-arounds, neither of which are satisfactory.

You can resize using Nearest Neighbor, which looks dreadful. Or, after resizing with some other interpolation, select the edge pixels, and Image > Apply Image, using multiply. This lessens the problem, but doesn't make it go away.

Photoshop used to ship with a tool called Filter Factory, which allowed you to directly control the transparency of individual pixels. There was an updated clone of this from a site called Telegraphics, Filter Foundry, which is only available for 32-bit, and the developer has no plans to update it to 64-bit. I keep a 32-bit copy of CC 2018 just to run this.

It should be easy to deal with this, but I haven't found any for 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this by duplicating the image as a new layer, then resizing and saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on.. This is just [removed by moderator] right.. Paying much for this software and this bug is still there..
If it's not a bug, please add an option to disable this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This is obviously a bug. Okay, so it happens for a reason, and maths dictates that it will happen. Fine. I get that, I accept that. But you simply find a workaround so that the user sees what they are expecting to see. When I resize something, I am not expecting a 1px transparent bit at the top and bottom that wasn't there before. You put yourself in the user's position and design your software for them. Quite frankly, ADOBE products are not cheap. So yes, this is [removed by moderator].

The duplicate layer workaround works simply because it puts pixels from the original image below the transparent part, but the problem hasn't gone away. Considering that this bug was first addressed nearly 6 years ago, it is pretty pathetic that this problem still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is a new behavior. It's a subpixel of interpolation from the transparent pixels off the edges of the floating layer. A background layer won't have this behavior.

CS6: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/92567b9b-b982-4758-4022-f89d03e8655c

CC 2015.5: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/b4e99102-e9c2-4ea5-6bef-5632ce41aeb1

CC 2022: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/b5c4ae1a-7545-4ba2-4032-6aa710054f62

I'll see if this is something we can improve in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mates, this bug is so annoying af. Im working on covers and this bug literally breaking blur and other options like content aware fill.

HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS? PLEASE, PLEASE. I saw a thread 11years ago where a dude had the same problem.

When it gets fixed finally?

I know how to workaround, but this is more annoying than the bug itself.

WORKAROUND:

1. Right click on layer "rasterize layer"

2. Right click "convert to smart object"

3. Double click on smart object to open it

4. Right click on layer "flatten image"

5. CTRL + S to save it

6. Repeat this with all other images/ layers because adobe cant fix it? ? ? ?

As you can see its hardcore annoying. Do someone have an actual bug fix?

PS: START FIXING THIS ANNOYING BUG KNOWN SINCE 11 YEARS ADOBE, YOU PROVIDING EXPENSIVE STUFF HERE LOL ?

adobe finally fix this.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I got a second workaround which is a way faster:

Select your layer you want to fix

Then go to the option at the top of photoshop called "Layer" then "Layer Mask" and then "From Transparency"

Now you have to delete the created mask and your transparent border is disappeared like MAGIC.

FIX YOUR SOFTWARE ADOBE, ITS TOO EXPENSIVE TO HAVE BUGS LIKE THIS! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bro its now few years over. How you guys still not fixed this bug? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget the second workaround it will do weird stuff to your second and first layer (Youre unable to CTRL + Left Click the image because it will now mark the background layer for whatever reason)

Here is a third workaround:

1. Select your layer you want fix

2. Go to the tabs and select "Image" then "Apply Image..."  Then select "Merged"

3. Choose your blending option or simply set it on normal lol

4. Click on DONE and you fixed it. Now repead with every other buggy layer and have fun because adobe doesnt plan to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a real-world scenaro that's annoying for me. If I have a Photoshop file that has a mask on it and it's placed in InDesign, the background is gone/transparent as intended. If I resize the Photoshop file for any reason, a faint border is now present in InDesign around my image frame and quite hard to see unless you zoom in a decent amount. So now I either have to bring in the edges of the frame in InDesign, or go into the Photoshop file and add black to the mask on the outside one pixel. If I don't do one of those two things, a faint black outline box will print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU. This is the only thing that's worked for me. It only happens sometimes, but it ruins my whole... everything haha. I'm a pattern designer, so I absolutely can't have any dang transparent borders. 

DOIN' GREAT, ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, this workaround is not fixing the issue on my patterns. 😞

Absolute nightmare.pixel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate it SO MUCH. 

On some of my patterns, I have to apply the image more than once. And you'll have to do it again after you resize if you're trying to tile the squares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As somebody who has been working professionally with Photoshop since 2004, I've only recently encountered this issue in the last two or so years. I am quite confident that this is a new "bug".

That being said, it is technically mathematically correct with certain resampling methods. I'd assume that in older versions of Photoshop, there was a fix that prevented this in the backend, which was subsequently removed in newer versions since 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate