• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bulk loading photoshop actions - is there a way?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey -

I've got a new computer and need to re-load all of my actions (I have a lot!).

Is there a way to bulk load actions, or do I literally have to do it one by one?  It's a PITA!

Any solutions for a quick fix would be massively appreciated.

Grateful thanks.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Select all of them in Windows Explorer and press Enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try loading in the .psp file from the old computer if you still have access to it... Otherwise you can try double clicking on each .atn file in the Finder/Explorer to open/load it into Photoshop.

hotoshop – Custom Action File Backup & Migration

Backup-Photoshop-Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen - THANK  YOU!

I remember now this is how I did it on my old computer! BUT, one extra piece of help if you don't mind.... I've just saved all the actions in the folder (below copy/paste from your document) I've closed PS down, re-opened it but they're not showing up. I seem to remember from the last time I did this (which was YEARS ago which is why I'd forgotten) that they just showed up in the actions palette when I re-opened it. Any thoughts?

• C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets\Actions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No special thoughts, it either works or it does not, which is why it is always a good idea to save into .atn file... So just try double clicking on an .atn file in the Finder/Explorer... Does it load into the actions panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some do load and some don't. I might try deleting them all and saving them again into that folder. Switch it off, switch it on again! It worked on my last computer with this method, so a bit baffled now. I can still see them in the location you suggested on my old computer under PS CC 2018.

What do you mean by "save into an .atn file"? Each of these are .atn files. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that you meant that you tried installing the action panel .psp file into the appropriate folder. This file contains all of the actions loaded into a panel.

If you are installing individual .atn files you can look at the options previously mentioned in the link to my blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows you can select your actions in File Explorer, then drag and drop them into photoshop up top where the menu/tool options bar is, not directly into the document area and they should show in the Actions panel.

If you want a pernament folder to keep the actions, it's better to put them in

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets\Actions

then you can load them from the Actions panel flyout menu.

Screenshot-(105).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all of them in Windows Explorer and press Enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested, it works. Great tip. I tested with Photoshop app running, it is focusing on app and loading all selected action sets after pressing Enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also load actions from the File explorer in bulk one at time is a pain.  Normally all I do is migrate my Action Pallets preferences from one version of photoshop to and other version. That way the are ordered the way I use to in the Actions palette..

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I knew it from long as it is intuitive to do so, same as draging them to Photoshop window, that works with images too. There're of course other tricks I weren't aware of, which are more like tips you don't know about but are so obvious that you don't try them as you sometimes don't believe things can be simply so simple until others tell you about them.

I don't use this method for myself though, as normally when I have same shortcuts for different actions, it's better for me to keep actions in Presets / Actions of Photoshop folder. Then by replacing them I use only Action Set I need for specific task. Otherwise when you open / drag all at once then another loaded in the row actions will not have assigned same shortcuts, but only first loaded Action Sets (plus another if shortcuts weren't used earlier).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurrah!! Thank worked brilliantly! Thank you. So simple 🙂

Regarding keeping the actions in a folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets\Actions

That's what I did and they are at the bottom of the flyout menu but I still have to load them one by one. Each time I click one, it loads, but then I have to open the flyout menu again to load the next one. It's better, but still super slow.

Drag and drop is a game changer though, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that's one i didn't know of and really is a timesaver.

On the mac side one can load multiple actions with Load Actions from the Actions panel flyout menu, but windows only allows one at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one, however, the ENTER key on selected files appears to be Windows only...

The OP didn't state their OS.

As I previously wrote for Mac users, selecting the .atn file/s and double clicking or pressing CMD O for open will load them into Photoshop, as does drag-n-drop (depending on how the drag-n-drop is performed).  This of course presumes that .atn files are associated with Photoshop.

Unfortunately, If you are on Windows, selecting multiple files and double-clicking will deselect all the files except the one being double clicked. And on Windows, one can't use CTRL O to open them like on the Mac. Right clicking on the multiple .atn files and selecting "open" is the equivalent of double click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag all files into the Photoshop window and drop.

upd.

Already said 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines