Camera raw 12.1 preview image over saturated when viewed on 2nd monitor

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

late 2019 imac, 10.15.2

PS 2020, Camera Raw 12.1

BenQ SW2700 hardware calibrated-2nd monitor

When I have an image on ther screen (smart object) and adjust in camera raw 12.1 the preview is over saturated and increase contrast compared to the image on the BenQ monitor.   If I move the window to the imac the open image and camera raw preview are the same.

This is a new issue that started a comple months ago and still cannot narrow it down.

I have calibrated the BenQ in multiple ways: V2, V4, and system.  I have also allocated the BenQ as the main monitor.  Nothing seems to work.  

I assume the issue is the color profile camera raw 12.1 is using is from the imac and not the BenQ.

Any idea how to fix this and why did it suddenly appear, what happened in the past couple updates.

This started with my late 2012 imac running 10.12 so I know it is not an OS issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're right in the middle of a long discussion about this, here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-not-accessing-the-correct-monitor-profile/td-p/10... 

Some stuff here not relevant to you, but read through to the end. The underlying problem is very likely the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I just got off the phone with Adobe and the case has been escalated.

What I just discovered is that Camera Raw 12.1 is not recognizing the selected color profile, only the factory installed monitor profile.  If I am using just my imac and I have the imac set to the factory "imac" profile both the image and the camera raw 12.1 preview are consistent.  If I switch the imac color profile to say apple RGB the screen image becomes very saturated but the camera raw 12.1 preview image is reverting to the factory installed "imac" profile.  So I guess the question is, how do I get Camera Raw 12.1 to recognize my calibrated profiles.

The only work around I have found is:

Camera raw 12.1/workflow/colorspace/space:Adobe RGB(1998)

It was on Adobe RGB 1998 which is what I want.  I selected a random profile then switched back to Adobe RGB 1998 and it seemed to reset Camera Raw 12.1.  Now both the on screen image and the Camera Raw 12.1 preview image match.  However this is only a work around.  Because if I move the image and the camera raw 12.1 preview to the other monitor I have to repeat the steps to get Camera Raw to reset to the monitors selected profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be confusing the document profile (sRGB, Adobe RGB) with the system monitor profile set up for each screen. Those are two different things.

The issue here is not the document profile. Leave that alone. The issue is that ACR is not converting into the correct monitor profile. That's where the bug is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same issue and I think I have found a solution not previously mentioned 

Background:

I have a desktop Mac, BenQ2700pt and a i1 profiler. I had this same problem recently with the lightroom develop module (basically ACR) looking oversaturated relative to the print module. Disabling the graphics accelrator fixed it.

I now have the problem in Photoshop going between the regular PS window and ACR (camera raw filter). The ACR image is way oversaturated and high in contrast.

I tried everything. Uninstalling and reinstalling PS (including older versions). I did the same with palette master elements. Nothing worked. I checked all the settings mentioned in these forums. I found that switching the BenQ monitor profile to the Adobe RGB profile got rid of the problem, but of course I want to use my caliberated profiles. 

The solution: I caliberated my monitor using Palette master elements, but I switched the RGB primaries from adobe RGB to panel native. This solved the issue.

I'm a complete novice at this and discovering this was essentially a wild-ass guess. I really don't know what "panel native" means. It may very well mean that with this profile I'm not getting the full color display (i.e. 99% adobe RGB). Anyone have any insight as to why this solution may have worked and what exactly i've done to my monitor with this profile? I did notice that the delta-E was higher across the board (but still less than 4) on the validation report...for what that's worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've been saying all along, the BenQ software is buggy, and failure to load the profiles correctly is a very frequently reported issue.

Aside from that, you're doing it right this time. You should calibrate to native, always. There's no reason to use the Adobe RGB emulation. It will limit the monitor's gamut for no benefit at all.

People generally put too much significance on the Adobe RGB coverage. That a display roughly covers a standard color space does not mean they match - and much more importantly, they don't have to. Monitor gamut is what it is, it doesn't have to match anything else. As long as the profile maps the primaries such as they are, wherever they are, the color management process will work.

An sRGB emulation/preset is useful for working with non-color managed software. An Adobe RGB preset makes no sense and is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

yea the only problem I'm having now is that I tried doing one more calibration using the panel native setting but this time I used the Latge Patch Set Size (I had previously used the small size) and It fails the validation with some delta-E as high as 6. Not sure how to deal with that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yep native worked, well done, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines