• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw losing edits when error occurs upon saving

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photoshop team! When opening raw files with photoshop Camera Raw opens first, and then when you click "Done", if there is any disk error (like hard drive removed) or drive mounted in read-only mode, it's just closed. All the edits are forever lost. It is not how expensive software should behave. Please fix it eventually

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Hi

We are just volunteer users here. We don't work for Adobe.

You can raise feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is designed to work on local disks. Working directly on network and external disks is not supported. The advice is always work local then copy the files to the network. See Adobe info here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave! I totally get it, but still, it's common sense and basic thing to do, just not closing the window if saving was not successful, it is really simple as that. What if suddenly there is no more space on the hard drive? Is it really a valid reason to lose data? (Nope)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We are just volunteer users here. We don't work for Adobe.

You can raise feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last used settings are always available in Camera RAW. Just re-open the files and use the last conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I partially completed an edit and hit done. It saved as an xmp file. Now what? How do I re-open the same file with the edit? I tried to open the xmp file in photoshop but nothing happened. I'm totally new to this camera raw thing, so I'm still trying figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just open the RAW file. Ignore the XMP file, don't touch it or mess with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that initially but it only opened the unedited version. I clicked Previous Conversion and still nothing. Not sure where to go from here other than a re-edit. Luckily I did a screen-shot save of the settings. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your RAW file is linked to the xmp file. ONLY fdeal with RAW files. You do nothing whatsoever with xmp files except to make sure they are not deleted and they are always with the RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The xmp file, known as a sidecar file, sits alongside the raw file and contains the details of the edits for use by Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom. When you open the raw image file, ACR opens the sidecar file in the background so it has the edits.

If you move the raw image file to a different folder or disk, make sure you move the sidecar file with it, or you will lose the edits.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, that was very helpful!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Camera Raw app select "Open Image" not "Done" to proceed to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines