Highlighted

Camera Raw v11 and Jpgs help needed

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks I am new to this forum and want to say thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. I recently upgraded from Photoshop 6 and Camera Raw 9.1.1 to CC 2019 and Camera Raw 11. In my workflow I use Camera Raw to process my Jpeg images. Since many of my assignment are shot under the same conditions I like to make adjustments to the first image and then click Save New Camera Raw Defaults so that each succeeding image opens with those settings. I find this easier than clicking Previous Conversion. Now that I have upgraded to CC 2019 I find that Save New Camera Raw Defaults only works on RAW files and setting are not applied to Jpgs. I shoot Canon 1DX MKII. Reverting to earlier versions of Camera Raw do not work because the MKII is not supported. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Camera Raw v11 and Jpgs help needed

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks I am new to this forum and want to say thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. I recently upgraded from Photoshop 6 and Camera Raw 9.1.1 to CC 2019 and Camera Raw 11. In my workflow I use Camera Raw to process my Jpeg images. Since many of my assignment are shot under the same conditions I like to make adjustments to the first image and then click Save New Camera Raw Defaults so that each succeeding image opens with those settings. I find this easier than clicking Previous Conversion. Now that I have upgraded to CC 2019 I find that Save New Camera Raw Defaults only works on RAW files and setting are not applied to Jpgs. I shoot Canon 1DX MKII. Reverting to earlier versions of Camera Raw do not work because the MKII is not supported. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop? You can directly apply your settings and the last ones are kept. and I'm sure you can save and load custom settings.

Filter > Camera Raw Filter    Apply your settings  and Save.

Unlike Camera Raw, it will take other file types besides Jpeg.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Camera Raw under the Filter menu does not offer the option of Save New Camera Raw Defaults. It is used only to edit pictures once they are opened in Photoshop. I an using the Camera Raw plugin to do the initial edit before opening in Photoshop. Saving and loading custom settings is more complicated than using Previous Conversion. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I can't think of anything else. You can go with Noel's advice, he really knows his way around.

We also have a Camera Raw forum where you can also ask for advice on this issue.

Adobe Camera Raw

Good Luck,

Gene

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respect your choice to use JPEG instead of raw format, though I wonder whether you would benefit from switching to a raw workflow if you really are using the more advanced features of Camera Raw when opening files.

One thing I've found over time is that my old raw files, should I need or want to use one, can be turned into better results today by modern raw converters than by the converters of the time.  There is definitely more information in the raw files than what's provided by the camera in its JPEGs (a great example is if there's near overexposure).  There's no evidence that conversion algorithms have reached their limits either, so the trend will likely continue.

Yes, the storage burden is greater to keep raw files, but disk space is less costly today than ever before.

Canon out-of-camera JPEG color can be very pleasing; I've personally always liked their renditions.  For that reason I set things up so that my raw files open by default with nearly identical colors to the Canon look.

Lastly, JPEG compression introduces sometimes pretty bad artifacts, especially if there's a lot of detail.  Just try sharpening an image aggressively and you can see them clearly.

I guess my point boils down to this:  Have you re-evaluated lately why you want to use JPEGs?

Maybe you can solve this problem by switching to a workflow that delivers higher quality AND better repeatability.  A way to convince yourself you're on the best path for your needs is to set your camera to record both formats (I presume that's still possible with the latest models), then open a few of your own images both ways.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
TannenM LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a photojournalist working for a wire service I need to shoot jpgs most of the time. More and more we are doing remote editing, or I am editing remotely another photographer working during a breaking situation. Trying to transmit a Raw file is out of the question. If I know i will be handling my own pictures then Raw is an option and I am not opposed to it. Photoshop  6 with Camera Raw 9.1.1 worked fine. I'm trying to get version 11 to work in the same way.

Thank you for trying.

Tannen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

I can't think of anything else.

I do

The workflow the OP describes is perfectly suited for Lightroom. This is what Lightroom was born to do. Not by defaults or presets, which is a clumsy and awkward way to do it - but by synchronizing adjustments with an ease and flow you simply can't achieve in ACR.

Of course, Lightroom (like ACR) is primarily a raw processor, and I would also strongly advise reconsidering raw vs.jpeg.

But if jpeg it is - then Lightroom will handle that just fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines