• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera raw vs Lightroom - same Raw image, same value = different result?

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, 

I am trying to recover highlight in an overexposed image:

1 - Camera Raw and Lightroom sliders values are identical. 

2 - I recover more highlight in Lightroom. (see screenshot)

am I overlooking something?

Lightroom basics vs Camera Raw screenshotLightroom basics vs Camera Raw screenshot

Thank you for your help, 

Jessie 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal, and perfectly demonstrates the advantage of shooting raw.

It also perfectly demonstrates why you should do as much as possible in ACR/Lightroom before opening it into Photoshop.

A raw file contains all the data captured by the sensor, linearly recorded in 14 bit depth. If you could see it, it would be a very dark, monochrome image, and, notably, very tonally compressed in order to fit all the data. A good modern sensor has a dynamic range of up to 14 full stops.

When the file is processed and rendered into a color space, with gamma encoding, a great deal of this information is discarded. It has to be, to produce a useful recognizable image. Once gone, it can't be recovered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your explanation. 

That is also the reason I only shoot RAW and export the image once I processed it. 

Up until recently, I mainly used Lightroom. 

I supposed that when one opens a Raw image in Photoshop, it first opens Camera Raw module and was convinced it was the same as the develop module in Lightroom. 

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, 

Jessie 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like not all the ACR and LR settings are the same.  Two different profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines