Exit

Can a path be grouped to a layer ?

Participant ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6

I have created a path that corresponds to details on a layer, when I move the layer I need the path to also move with it, I need to group the path to the layer, how is this done ?

Thanks

Merlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

With your Path and Layer active, Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path, and then Layer > Vector Mask > Disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

You can also store the path as a shape layer, which can then be grouped with the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your Path and Layer active, Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path, and then Layer > Vector Mask > Disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also store the path as a shape layer, which can then be grouped with the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Semaphoric-PLXibM I do that, the first step sees the artwork on the layer vanish, so it would seem I need to do both so as to move path with layer art, I do the disable, the artwork comes back, I move it but the path doesnt move with it.

Both layers were active.

Hi Chuck, where do I get to store the path as a shape layer, I can't see a setting anywhere. (CS6)

Regards

Merlin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say "Both layers are active". There should only be one layer, with a Path as a  (here disabled) Vector Mask:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have clicked on the path layer in the paths palette, that shows the path, thus that 'paths layer' is active, if I then go to Layer>vector mask it is greyed out, i go to the layers palette and activate one of my three linked layers which need to move along with the path, layer>vector mask>current path is now selectable, I move the linked layers but the path doesnt move with them.

try an experiment, create a new layer for artwork and do a quick scribble in red, turn on a path layer, go layer>vector mask>current path and get the image as you have for that artwork layer, though the red scribble has now vanished, I cant see artwork to move now. I go Layer>vector mask >disable and the artwork is back visible, I move it and the path remains where it was.

Merlin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines