• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I auto number shapes in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some diagram tools such as Visio or draw.io allow automatic numbering of shapes as you add them to a diagram. I have looked in Adobe Support and can not find a reference to this type of feature so I would just like to check with the community.

I have a User Interface layout and I want to label the fields numerically to cross-reference in the specification.  So what I would like to do is to choose a shape, for example, a small circle, and have it automatically number as each instance of the shape is added to the psd file.  Does Photoshop have a feature like that?  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Photoshop doesn't have a feature like that. Yo might be able to create a script that can do that either automatically or semi manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck.  Do you know if InDesign or Illustrator would have that feature? Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if those apps have that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a meaningful screenshot (including the pertinent Panels) or sketch to illustrate? 

Are you using Smart Objects for the circles or Shape Layers or …? 

What is the ultimate goal? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using shape and text layers.  I'd prefer not to post an example as it is a mockup for internal use, but this should illustrate the requirement.  This is from draw io where automatic numbering of shapes takes place as the shapes are added. Cons - Not able to adjust font or background of label and label does not show in exported files.

tern_jm_0-1597200546721.png

There will be around 50 fields in the User Interface so I wanted a quick way to label a field object with a unique identifier. This will be used to describe the field object in the specification. Because we are in draft stage, the field names and even tabs they appear on may change.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are seeveral options for Scripting something like this. 

One can use existing counters created with the Count Tool for example 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/exporting-images-with-count-tool/td-p/10336327?page=1

or one could even use Script Events Manager to »borrow« a Tool like the Count Tool to immediately create Layers when clicking … 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/full-colour-brush-dabbing-simulation-script/m-p/9397073?pag...

But you would need to customize the Script/s considerably – how familiar are you with JavaScript and Photoshop’s DOM and AM-code?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines