• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can i install photoshop cs2 on a new mac?

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i have a new MBP and wish to install Photoshop CS2 but i am having issues.

i am running OS X 10.9.4. Does anyone know how i can install it?

i can't really justify the price of the full new version of Photoshop for the amount i use it so the free old version is perfect for me. Unless anyone has a cheap Adobe alternative?

Regards,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Adobe CS2 is not Free Software you need a licence to run it legally

System Requirements for Photoshop CS2

by Shea Laverty, Demand Media

While Adobe Photoshop CS2 was released in May 2005, its age may make it an appealing target to businesses -- as of the date of publication, CS2 is still an adequate product for most basic business needs and may be available second-hand for considerably less than the price of purchasing the latest version. Because there are few modern computer systems incapable of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop: Why doesn't Photoshop CS2 doesn't run on MacOS 10.7 (Lion)?

Anyway, what are you mean by

free old version

?

You are aware that you are entitled to use that only if you have had a license for a Photoshop version up to CS2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have but it is for Windows and the software is now available from Adobe with a serial number which for some reason won't install on my MBP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is my cheapest option for buying a version of Photoshop for my MBP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements. It might be all you need for $100.

Run the free trial for up to 30 days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joerusso100 wrote:

i have but it is for Windows and the software is now available from Adobe with a serial number which for some reason won't install on my MBP

That reason is that Photoshop CS2 for Mac was written when all Macs were powered by a PowerPC processor, but for the last 8 years or so, all Macs have had Intel processors. The old code in Photoshop CS2 will never be able to install on any current Mac.

If Photoshop Elements doesn't have the features you need, another option is the Creative Cloud Photography Plan at $9.99 a month which will give you the latest Photoshop and Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2014 Aug 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your MBP have an IBM powerpc processor or an intel processor.  MAC CS2 requires a IBM PowerPC processor it should not install on a Apple Unix Intel system,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2014 Aug 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its got an Intel i7 Dual Core

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you will never, EVER get CS2 to install or run on that Mac.  Abandon the idea forthwith.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, as already pointed out above, note the availability of the low cost Creative Cloud Photography bundle:

Creative Cloud free trial & plans : Adobe Creative Cloud

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I shall not be buying adobe products after that answer. I have tons of LEGAL adobe software and spent

1000s of bucks on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly understand your point, but computer technology does advance, and old software becomes incompatible with new operating systems.  It's the way of the world.

If you were still running the computer and operating system you had when you bought your old Adobe software CS2 version, it would still be working.  Adobe even saw to it that when they retired their online activation servers they didn't leave current customers out in the cold.

However, you chose to get new hardware and/or advance your operating system to a version that no longer supports the ancient CS2 application(s).  Adobe didn't change anything - you did.  Presumably you felt that the new hardware/OS brought advantages that made it worthwhile to do so, and there certainly ARE good reasons to get a new computer.

Did you not realize that there would also be incompatibilities introduced?  Apple no longer supports 32 bit software of any sort on macOS.  That means their developers are free to concentrate more of their effort on new 64 bit development without being burdened by supporting outdated technology.

There are some reasonable solutions proposed in the thread above, including running a virtual Windows system, which IS still able to run old Adobe CS2 software, inside a virtualization package such as Parallels or Fusion on a new Mac.

I'm no fan of operating system authors making older software obsolete - it's one of the reasons I choose to run Windows vs. macOS, because support for older software is maintained longer - but Adobe doesn't control the choices your operating system vendor makes w/regard to what they're going to continue to support and what they're not.  It's really a case of you have to keep paying if you want to keep playing.  You chose to pay to get a new Mac and macOS version, right?  Why is it a stretch to think about paying to keep your Adobe software current?

No one can or will promise that their current version of software will remain compatible with every new computer and OS forever.  But they do release new versions that ARE compatible, and expect you to pay for that development.  It's not all for nothing either; there ARE quite a lot of valuable new features that have been added in the (what, 12?) major versions released since CS2.  Honestly, the Photographer's bundle really is a pretty good deal for what you get.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, all I wanted was a yes or no. I have been using Photoshop since you

were in your mother's womb, and al3ways paid my way. As an artist, I hate

the fact people steal intellectual property, and i have been royally ripped

off. I will NEVER buy another Adobe product again . all I wanted was a

polite response not a dissertation about whether or not to purchase a new

computer. My loyalty ended with windows when they decided for me to upgrade

me to 10. I lost the ability to choose. (ONCE AGAIN) . so if i have to

sleep with the devil at least i will sleep with one that will sweet talk to

me through customer support. the difference between rape and making love.

Crap all I want to do is make a living.

Zan D.

Copper Cowgirl Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop since you

were in your mother's womb

Apparently you seem to think you have been using Photoshop longer than Noel Carboni​ and that this has some relevance here.

But as he has been a member on these Fora since 2006 and you since 2018 I’d be curious to know how you determined how long Noel Carboni has been using Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you indeed had a legitimate Windows license for CS2, you would still not be legally or morally entitled to run the Mac version of CS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Install Bootcamp or some virtualization software to run Windows on your Mac. Use your CS2 Windows key...seems like a pretty simple and logical solution. You could even install Windows XP, which no longer has any support. I know this leaves you open to security vulnerabilities but you could turn off networking since you are just using it for Photoshop.

Hope this suggestion helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CS2 is not Free Software you need a licence to run it legally

System Requirements for Photoshop CS2

by Shea Laverty, Demand Media

While Adobe Photoshop CS2 was released in May 2005, its age may make it an appealing target to businesses -- as of the date of publication, CS2 is still an adequate product for most basic business needs and may be available second-hand for considerably less than the price of purchasing the latest version. Because there are few modern computer systems incapable of running this system, prospective owners should check their system against the minimum requirements before purchase and installation.

Processor

Windows users looking to install Photoshop CS2 will need at least an Intel Xeon, Xeon Dual, Centrino, Pentium III, Pentium 4 or comparable CPU in order to run the program. Mac users will need at least a G3, G4 or G5 PowerPC processor.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering the same. I had a legal CS2 on my old 2006 iMac but since it died I got a new one (well 2014 but i've just got it) and wanted to know if it'll run on osx 10.9

Any advice on wether it'll run or not is welcome

- Pyro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS2 won't run on OS X 10.9.

The last version of OS X to run PowerPC-based applications was 10.6. Starting with OS X 10.7 in 2011, all of your applications have to be compatible with Intel-based processors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I did all the things but in summary I am getting error again and again that the installation is failed. I am using mac book air and it has sufficient resources but why I am getting this??Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 2.08.40 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is already in this thread…your MacBook Air has an Intel processor, but CS2 can't run on an Intel processor because it's too old. There is no version of CS2 that can run on a MacBook Air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At one time it would run on an intel using OSX 10.6.8 and through the Rosetta PPC emulator, but that's long gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS2 will not install or run on modern Macs (min. last 5 years). There are no workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround is to install Bootcamp and Windows 10 - which is a free download - and download the now free Photoshop CS2.

Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and download the now free Photoshop CS2.

Photoshop CS2 is not free. If you've never previously purchased the software then you're running a pirated copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines