Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I invert a shape layer?

Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a shape layer, of course the path is closed and the fill is on the inside of the shape. Is there a why to invert this so that the fill is on the outside with an editable "hole" on the inside?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

You can create a 'hole' by changing the shape option on the options bar.

Firstly draw the 'hole' shape, then change the option to 'exclude overlapping shape areas.

exclude1.png

now you can draw the shape for the outer edge - this can go beyond the edge of your document.  the center should now appear as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a 'hole' by changing the shape option on the options bar.

Firstly draw the 'hole' shape, then change the option to 'exclude overlapping shape areas.

exclude1.png

now you can draw the shape for the outer edge - this can go beyond the edge of your document.  the center should now appear as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I knew I had done it before, just couldn't remember how

.... So THAT'S what that exclude button is for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to do the same thing in Illustrator? I want to "mask" what is outside of the text, so that the text is empty space surrounded by the art (for single-color screenprint- (i.e. cyan art on navy blue canvas, the text shows navy blue without adding a color to the printing)

Thanks,

Aimee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 13, 2010 Dec 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

aimeebutterfly wrote:

Is it possible to do the same thing in Illustrator? I want to "mask" what is outside of the text, so that the text is empty space surrounded by the art (for single-color screenprint- (i.e. cyan art on navy blue canvas, the text shows navy blue without adding a color to the printing)

Thanks,

Aimee

Just make the text with pure white. When you separate the colors on film for offset or screenprinting, white means no ink of any kind will be applied and the color of the paper or medium used will be what will show on the white spots in your illustrator file.

If you want to simulate your blue color canvas you can use that color temporarily for the text.

You can also mask text in illustrator but that will make sense for revealing another art from the object below the text but in your case this is unnecessary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines