Can I make a 3D object made from bump maps less... bumpy?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting up to scratch with photoshop's 3d stuff and Dimension. I've figured out I can make things that look quite nice at first glance by creating a bump map from a 2d photo, and then extruding the bump map. 

I was modeling a waffle.

Lots of ups and downs in its shape, but in its essence a pretty simple object as such. It's one of a lot of objects in a picture, so I was trying to find a quick way to take 2d pics, blow up to 3d, to get consistent lighting. All the 3d models I found that didn't cost a ton were pretty cartoony.

Using the shadows, i got pretty close to a decent bump map, and once I'd used dodge and burn to move things up and down, I had an object that had the shape that I wanted.

So far, so good. Actually more than good, I was blown away by how easy it is to make a 3d object from a 2d photograph.

But the shape is pixellated. Kind of. whatever the 3d version of pixellation is. So once i'd processed it to move into Adobe Dimension, the object had hundreds of thousands of points and a lot of small jagged edges.

The ginormous vector size of the 3d object is something I'd like to avoid since I'm rendering over and over on an imac that's on the cusp of obsolescence for this type of work. And the ugly edges make the bump map extrusion feature unuseable except for rendering at very small sizer, and then it's probably very processor intensive, compared to a hand-made 3d model.

So I'm thinking, is there anything in the Adobe suite that would smooth out the edges? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?