• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use warp tool in Photoshop to animate lines?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop, I want to animate lines I have drawn and applied a glow effect to. The Warp effect will give the look I want, but how can I animate it? Can I set keystones to move it?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean »keyframes«. 

And you seem to be confusing Photoshop with actual animation-oriented software like After Effects. 

In Photoshop I suppose you would need to create Smart Object instances and warp them individually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, working from home has got me scatterbrained. I knew when I typed it, there was something not right.

Doing the Smart Object solution was what I came up with also. It's OK, but not great. Not sure I want to jump into AE for this project. I am looking to replicate "electrified" lines: sharp movement, jiggly lines, etc. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an After Effects user myself but I am convinced the task could be done more easily there. 

That nonewithstanding: Have you tried SO instances (again) on Frame Animation but with random Displacement Masks (see gif below)? 

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 09.44.03.pngdisplaceAnim.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

displaceAnim2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is what I had in mind...I will try that! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Displacement Maps have Filter > Render > Clouds (with reset Back- and Foreground Color) applied separately to the R- amd G-Channel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it is apparent to me that I need more simplified steps to get to this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• create several Displacement Maps 

• create the corresponding number of copies of the Smart Object 

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 16.57.13.png

• apply the Displace Filter with a different one of the DMs to each SO-instance 

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 16.57.50.png

• Make Frames From Layers 

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 16.59.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to spell this out for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’re welcome. 

If the lines need to be the same width over the whole length you could use Blend if-settings, and Layer Style Stroke on a Group with 0% Fill. 

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 18.21.53.png

Or maybe try Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use smart objects, then a timeline and set your keyframes and that should work out fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines