• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can my Laptop run photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a noob when it comes to technology.My daughter is interested in photoshop as she's fascinated with all the youtube tutorials.Can someone tell me if the laptop specs posted below fit the requirements for the latest version and if not then which version should i purchase?system.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

These are the specs that can tell us something:

• Intel Core i5 4th Gen 4200U (1.60 GHz)
  • 6 GB Memory 500 GB HDD
  • AMD Radeon R7 M265 2 GB
  • 1366 x 768
  • Windows 8.1

Specs look good.

8 to 16 GB RAM is a good memory to start. The AMD Radeon G7 is a Photoshop certified card.

Optional:

HDDs are old school and a real bottleneck. buy a SSD (solid state drive) and use Macrium Reflect to copy the system over and replace that drive if you can do tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the specs that can tell us something:

• Intel Core i5 4th Gen 4200U (1.60 GHz)
  • 6 GB Memory 500 GB HDD
  • AMD Radeon R7 M265 2 GB
  • 1366 x 768
  • Windows 8.1

Specs look good.

8 to 16 GB RAM is a good memory to start. The AMD Radeon G7 is a Photoshop certified card.

Optional:

HDDs are old school and a real bottleneck. buy a SSD (solid state drive) and use Macrium Reflect to copy the system over and replace that drive if you can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

This statement in particular was very helpful "The AMD Radeon G7 is a Photoshop certified card".

I googled it and now i do know which AMD Graphics card are tested.

The laptop has 8GB RAM and 2GBVRAM and running on WIN 10.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your daughter is in K-12, get her Photoshop Elements.  It's cheaper than Photoshop CC and has an easier learning curve for beginners. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Also the PSE system requirements are closer to the equipment you already have.  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/system-requirements.html

For a college/university student pursuing a degree in graphics design, see best laptops for Photoshop CC below.

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-laptops-for-photoshop

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links.

Daughter is not really in favor of Photoshop elements , I guess she wants to jump directly over to the advanced level Ha Ha.I agree with you,though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official system requirements actually leave out the most important component for running Photoshop efficiently: enough free disk space for the scratch disk. It's a rather conspicuous omission, and I don't know why they left it out.

Photoshop moves large amounts of data around, much more than available RAM in any computer. So Photoshop's memory management relies on temporary files written to disk to hold it all, and then RAM is just a sort of fast access cache to keep things fluent.

This is known as the scratch disk. There should be at least 100-200 GB free space for most "normal" use, but if you're working with large files a practical minimum would be 500 GB.

The system requirements only say you need 3.1 GB disk space to install Photoshop. I'm sure that's correct as such, but the application couldn't possibly run with that amount of disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanx for the insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines