Highlighted

Can new photoshop be set up to run like CS3?

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't laugh, I am still limping along on CS3, it works great for what I use it for, I used the new Photoshop a couple of years ago at school, the way one opens and transfers an image or multiple images to create a new image is completely different. I never got the hang of it, can the new rented photo shop be made to work like the pold classic style? My photoshop is working well, however I need to change, as if I do updates to my mac, which I haven't done for a long time, I'm told my photoshop will quit working upon doing updates.

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can new photoshop be set up to run like CS3?

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't laugh, I am still limping along on CS3, it works great for what I use it for, I used the new Photoshop a couple of years ago at school, the way one opens and transfers an image or multiple images to create a new image is completely different. I never got the hang of it, can the new rented photo shop be made to work like the pold classic style? My photoshop is working well, however I need to change, as if I do updates to my mac, which I haven't done for a long time, I'm told my photoshop will quit working upon doing updates.

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 22, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»the way one opens and transfers an image or multiple images to create a new image is completely different.«

Not sure what that is supposed to refer to – cloud documents maybe? One does not have to utilize those. 

Please be more specific. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are running CS3 on your Mac - I doubt you can upgrade your Mac at all at this point. Apple stopped supporting Lion and older OSes. Even if you could upgrade, you won't be able to get to a minimum OS to support Creative Cloud.

Either way, you would be looking at having to buy a new Mac.

As for transferring images from one document to another - the same methods in CS3 still work in current software. Copy, paste, etc. are still there. What method are you using in CS3 that you can't seem to do in Creative Cloud?

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the "new" photoshop you can turn off the Window>Application Frame and have documents open as Floating Document Windows (uncheck Open Documents as Tabs), so it works pretty much as cs3 with the exception of the cs3 only Maximized Screen Mode.

d2.jpg

d1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 1
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The elephant in the room here is CS3 is ancient, discontinued & unsupported.  The aging activation servers are gone.  Even if you have an installer and a valid serial number, it's useless because you can never activate the software.  DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR MAC until you're fully committed to all new software, especially on Catalina which only supports 64-bit apps.

In terms of using Creative Cloud, you need to practice to a) get comfortable with the new UI and b) learn how the new features work.  That goes for any software that's 13 years newer than what you've been using. You have some catching up to do. 

Change is hard, I get that.  But you can't go back to how things were.   Set aside some quite time to get accustomed to the new Photoshop.  After 28 days (the time it takes for human brains to adjust to new things),  you'll never look back and probably kick yourself for not doing this sooner. I know I could never go back to CS3.  It's just too primitive.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 1