• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Photoshop files be corrupted by copying?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently copied and pasted a folder with about 28 GB of Photoshop files on the same desktop of my Windows 10 PC. The copies were then cut and pasted onto a flashdrive, so the original files are all I have on my PC. I was wondering if I should at all be worried about whether the copying process damaged the original files, because I hope I don't need to go through every single file and check if they are corrupt or not. Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly makes you think any of them are corrupted? Let alone all of them.

Copying a file does not touch the original file. The file is read then written to the drive and folder you have selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that I think they're corrupted; it's just that I'm afraid if they are. I'm afraid because it's a bunch of work that I don't have copies of and I hear stories about files being corrupted. It's good to know that copying doesn't touch the original file though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corruption is always a risk and you always need to take precautions. One of the most important is to have more than one copy of each file - in other words, backup.

Cut/paste is risky. Copy/paste is safer. Removable media are always more risky than "hard-wired" internal disks. Connectors can become loose and erratic failures can happen.

In short - take precautions. The only way to check if a file is corrupted is to open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. If it's corrupt, will it just show an error message if I try to open it? Or will the layers just look all messed up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash drives are certainly unreliable. They should never be your only copy. But, no, reading a file doesn’t corrupt it. You do need a thorough strategy for backups though. Disks break every day. Computers are stolen or broken every day. Files are deleted by accident every day. Do you have a plan for carrying on your work when that happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should I use instead of a flash drive? Like an external hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

External & internal drives are known to fail.  Every file is susceptible to catastrophic failure.  Backups are essential.  Off site backups are safer in the event of a disaster (I live in California where fires and earthquakes are common).

I use Backblaze backup and file recovery service.  Everything on my internal and connected external hard drives is backed up to cloud servers nightly for which I pay approx $6/month. 

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines