• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Photoshop make their computer fans louder?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Not sure if anyone might know of this or experience this but ever since I have installed photoshop/creative cloud my computer fans seem to be extremely loud? Is this possible? My computer is only a few months old.

Thanks

Stella

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New doesn't always mean it meets the mininmum system requirements. See links below.

- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy

thanks for the info. My laptop is Aspire A515-55, Installed RAM 8.00 GB Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1.35G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.19 GHz System type 64-bit operating system, x64-Based Processor.

The company I bought from mention that I shouldn't have any issues having Photoshop on this computer.

Thanks again for your help

Stella

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using Maria?

If Windows, you can open the Task Manager (Ctrl Alt Delete), and click on the Performance Tab to see how hard your computer is working

image.png

You can also install a free app like Speccy to see what various system temperatures are.  Your computer may have an app installed that will let you control fan speeds.  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor. I have located the CPU but it really doesn't make sense to me. How do I know if the laptop is working hard?

Maria-Stella5CEB_1-1619601952136.png

Cheers

Stella

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading your RAM will help – 8GB is not really enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with laptops is that they are harder to cool than desktops. So when the CPU or GPU start to work, and we want them to work hard in order to get the best out of them, the fans have to work harder to keep them cool. Eventually when the cooling can't cope the CPU and GPU are throttled back and run slower than the maximum speeds of which they are capable.

As an example, my desktop PC has a large case with two large case fans blowing air into the case, another blowing it out, plus a radiator at the top with a further three fans blowing air through it to keep the water cooled CPU cool.  In addition the GPU has its own three fans on the card and the power section on the motherboard has its own fan, as does the power supply. So that is a total of 11 fans and a large radiator all keeping things cool.  A typical laptop has one fan, or maybe two, and a very limited case space so that fan has to work quite hard when the laptop is asked to do some work.

Make sure that wherever you place the laptop you are not blocking the cooling slots, on a flat desk that shouldn't be a problem but working with it on your knees for eaxmple it is easy to block slots in the base without realising.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

I always use my laptop on a hard surface. Is there a way I can reduce the sound of the fan. Some commented and said having more Ram will help?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding memory will probably help Photoshop's performance but I'm not sure it will do anything about the fan speed.

Can you check in Photoshop's  Preferences > General and make sure Preset Syncing is unchecked

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave

just had a look at it is unchecked.

Thanks

Stella

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modern Intel computers are made to run fast, to get hot, and to use fans. The fans work harder the hotter it is. For some reason the adverts don't mention this, but it's working exactly as it's supposed to. (The computer carefully checks that it can't damage itself). Expect high end software to work the computer hard. Be happy, when you hear the fan, that you are finally getting what you paid for. Adobe have done a lot to make sure they drive your fans, because they want you to get the most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines