Can someone explain to me why it is so difficult to feather the edges of a photo in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand there are multiple ways to do this, and all of them require looking up an online guide or video that explains how to do it in about ten more steps than should be necessary. How is there simply not a feather effect in the way that there is shadow and glow effects?

This is basic photo editing 101. I can do this in Microsoft word in 2 clicks. Please help me understand if I am missing something.

TOPICS
Feature request, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can someone explain to me why it is so difficult to feather the edges of a photo in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand there are multiple ways to do this, and all of them require looking up an online guide or video that explains how to do it in about ten more steps than should be necessary. How is there simply not a feather effect in the way that there is shadow and glow effects?

This is basic photo editing 101. I can do this in Microsoft word in 2 clicks. Please help me understand if I am missing something.

TOPICS
Feature request, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what are you looking for exactly but there is Feather like effect in Layer style dialogue. You can use Inner Shadow and Inner Glow to simulate feather to some color.

Can you show us example of final effect that you are looking for? Perhaps ther is built in action or we can record action for you to achieve effect with single or two clicks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bags of Blessings newsletter.jpg

As you can see in this photo, I have feathered the edges of a smaller photo in the upper right corner and placed it over a larger image. This is something you can do in just a few clicks in InDesign by going to "object --> effects --> basic feather." In Photoshop there is a feather function that is extremely confusing to use and takes a good amount of knowledge of the program in order to get it to work. I'm just not understanding why it's like this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as inner shadow or inner glow, those are not helpful because I very rarely want to feather a photo over a solid color background. I am also not looking for a vignette, which is a completely different thing. Thank you for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 23, 2020 0