Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Create/Open new File - Photoshop CC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I just purchased Creative Cloud recently, went to go open up Photoshop today and it won't allow me to create new files or open existing PSDs:

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoWKJbIf3BI

I can, however, operate in Acrobat and Illustrator just fine.

I'd first googled around a bit to see if anyone else had the problem, noticed there had been a few threads. My troubleshooting steps thusfar.

1. secpol.msc > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode (disabled)

2. Took ownership of Adobe directories at C:\Program Files\Adobe, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe, C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe

3. secpol.msc > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode (enabled)

4. Trashed Preferences on startup.

Pertinent bits of info:

GPU: EVGA GTX 560ti (latest drivers)
Photoshop CS6 via Creative Cloud.

Any help would be much appreciated! It's working fine on my laptop (Mac OS 10.8) but the desktop is a little sketchy with Photoshop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Try this: Edit > Preferences > General > check "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2015 Aug 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least W10 will allow you do do this.

Noel Carboni was the resident Windows guru while here, and this was his advice:

"Conscientious folks who need critical things to keep working don't just change out a working OS and complain to application makers that their having done so  breaks their applications.  They test, they research.  THEN they migrate when it's safe to do so."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell you how wrong he was. I've had this issue since Vista to Windows 7 and 10 and across 4 computers and countless formats. Noel constantly said that the issue must be user side, hardware or software related. Obviously he was wrong as hell. Ctrl + Break solved the issue for me after 5+ flipping years. Photoshop team can now fix this god damn bug.

EdgardN, you're a champion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7 wrote:

"Conscientious folks who need critical things to keep working don't just change out a working OS and complain to application makers that their having done so  breaks their applications.  They test, they research.  THEN they migrate when it's safe to do so."

No no no... just no.

Windows 10 preview has been around for over a year now, precisely so that companies like Adobe can test their products on it and make sure that they work. It is Adobe's responsibility to test their software before release on the platforms that they claim to support.

A few bugs are always expected when we run software on a new OS, and you will find that people quite amiable regarding these bugs UNLESS:

1. People are told that the bugs are "their fault" - which the statement above effectively does.
  2. The bug is major. e.g. you can't open or create new documents.

Blaming Windows for bugs in Adobe software is like blaming a bumpy road for the fact that your car won't start. Windows is what it is (warts and all) and its up to Adobe to make their software work on that platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful. We all have been using Adobe products for years and the mentality is always the same: User error/user system is wonky. Bullshit. Ive been on computers since 85, I know when its not my issue but the manufacturer/software company. Adobe is notorious for "Its not us" statements. But we are sadists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2015 Aug 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I just found this info and as I have an NVIdia card, I decided to give it a shot. AMAZINGLY this fixed the problem.

Hope it can help others.

Here is the URL I found it: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-crash-with-faulty-module-photoshop-exe.html

Here is the snippet I followed:

Adjust graphics processor settings

If you can launch Photoshop: Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance, and deselect the Use Graphic Processor option.

If you can't launch Photoshop: Move the sniffer.exe file from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 to your desktop and try to restart Photoshop.

If you have more than one graphics card on your computer:

NVIDIA and Intel:

Right-click the desktop and choose NVIDIA Control Panel.

In the sidebar, select 3D Settings > Manage 3D settings. Click the Program Settings tab.

Add sniffer.exe and Photoshop.exe (from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015).

Save the changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I think I found a solution to this bug : on your keyboard hit "Ctrl-Break" ; At some moment, it works for me.

(I mistakenly use a solution for an old Microsoft Excel bug that I also encounter, and miracle, it worked )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even know why, but this worked for me... the Ctrl+(pause/break)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2015 Sep 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem for almost two years and this is the first thing I have tried that has worked (Ctrl + Break). Not sure if it was just a fluke or coincidence but if it continues to work, you have saved me from countless reboots just to get Photoshop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using PShop for over 20 years, and today this problem shows up out of the blue.

Talk about a "What do I do now?" moment...

I am astonished that it is fixed by pressing Ctrl+Break.

I was lucky to find this thread after less than a half hour of searching.

Thanks a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC said there is an update just now Ha!!  Lots of bug fixes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And nope..no work still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the same issue as the original poster? Did you try the solution discussed about above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU.

I should have known it was a key combination that caused this. About 6 hours before I discovered Photoshop was no longer working, I had an accident involving spilling water on my keyboard. It killed the keyboard, and in the process was making my computer think I was mashing all the keys the water touched. I guess somewhere along the way the water triggered ctrl+break. (The water was spilled right between right ctrl and break)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control + Pause/Break worked for me as well...I have had this problem for YEARS and never knew that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled CC, installed CS6, and hey presto! Everything works again.

CC is basically malware for productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue back again! Photoshop CC 2015.5. Can't open/create new file. Fresh installation (trial), Ps failed to create the very first file...

Windows Log shows exception of Photoshop.exe 17.0.0.88 with code 0xc0000005 - usually access error - and with offset 0x00000d45e91b4444. This exception is unhandled and thus causing application crash and Windows report "application stopped working"...

It happens after I click "Ok" on New File dialog or after showing newly opened file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem--new file choice won't open and Photoshop locks up. Deinstalling, reinstalling Photoshop over and over again  (never mind the person who is deinstalling/reinstalling printers...) is not a solution. Yes, I have Windows 10. Adobe, why haven't you come up with a solution!? I never had any trouble with CS6 and I don't have to pay forever to use it. Maybe CC just isn't a viable (valuable?) product? Fix the program!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have CC, you are entitled to Customer Care Support. Unlike the forums they can have a remote look at your PC and a better chance at solving the issue. You can contact them by chat.

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Customer Care is the best solution.

I let them take Remote Access. They updated display drivers and it seems to work for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This the best solution. I let them take Remote Control and solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good one. Being Forum help and not Customer Care, we can't see exactly what's causing the problem. Sometimes our answers are good, but Customer Care when we are out of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2015 Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randomly pressing CTRL+Break also worked for me.  I had a debugger running in the background (for other reasons), and this key combo paused it. PS suddenly works properly.  However, when I restart the debugger PS can still open files.  Weird.  Not sure if related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here.  Clearing the clipboard from the command prompt with

echo off | clip

worked once, but immediately brought the issue back.  Closing and reopening PS does nothing.  Rebooting makes it work again for a while.

Ctrl + Break worked like a charm!

Would still like to know the nature of the issue and why it is so prevalent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. After a lot of fiddling I noticed my problem was easily solvable:

There was a "Rate your Adobe Experience" Dialog hidden in the background (oh the irony). Im using Windows 10 and only saw it by highlighting the Photoshop Icon in the Taskbar. I couldn't bring it in the foreground but close it by right clicking the preview display in the Taskbar. Afterwards the Welcome dialog would appear and the files I tried to open beforehand would finally be shown.

Hope this helps one or another here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines