• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't cut!!

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a psd file I'm working on with three layers: one layer is text, one layer is the background and one layer is a photo that I dragged and dropped. I've selected the solid colored background of the photo. I want to cut the colored background. Only the "cut" command isn't activated. So it's impossible to cut the selection.

Can someone explain the problem and suggest a solution? Never encountered this during all the years I used Photoshop. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Cut - you mean remove?

if yes you can do this:

First go to Layer panel and use Rasterize command and then try to cut

or

Select area you want to remove and go to select menu and choinverse command. Then go to layers panel (selection is visible) and add layer mask to color background of your image

I'm not sure I understood you correctly

pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Photoshop Elements forum. Please post in the forum for Photoshop as it relates to your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which layer do you have active in the layers panel?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which layer do you have active in the layers panel?

The correct layer was selected. As mentioned, I found a workaround, but will try Raterizing the next time I run into this.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions! Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

there are several possibilities:

the wrong layer is selected

the layer is a Shape layer and you are in vector mode...... you have to rasterize this shape layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cut - you mean remove?

if yes you can do this:

or

Select area you want to remove and go to select menu and choinverse command. Then go to layers panel (selection is visible) and add layer mask to color background of your image

pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cut - you mean remove?

if yes you can do this:

or

Yes you did. Thank you. This sounds like it would have worked.  I'll try it the next time.

What I did was open the image by itself in PSE, selected the background and removed (cut) the background by selecting it. Then I saved it as a transparent gif, and transferred the image to my original file with the other layers; deleted the layer I wasn't able to work with. Not ideal, but it worked.

The screenshot shows the layer (the girl). The background was gray before I changed it to white.

suprised.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for the miscommunication. I am using PS Elements 2018. My reference to Photoshop was only meant to say that I never experienced this problem in Photoshop, which uses the same method for what I was trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have got to be kidding! 50 bucks a month for the past decade and a $40 program can do this in two steps! So tired of this sh##. Fix the program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The trick is... that I can't see on any forum anywhere.... is to select the layer and hit COMMAND A (select all), and then you can Cut (Command X)! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines