can't figure out the line tool on PS 22.1

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop for over 12 years, so imagine my surprise when, first I couldn't find my line tool after downloading this new version, and once I did, the lines I draw disappear when I click return.  I've tried changing the color for both outline and stroke (this is new to PS, and it reminds me of Illustrator, which I don't use because I hate it.  Can someone please advise?  I feel like a real dummy here!

Thanks,

Jenny

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

can't figure out the line tool on PS 22.1

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop for over 12 years, so imagine my surprise when, first I couldn't find my line tool after downloading this new version, and once I did, the lines I draw disappear when I click return.  I've tried changing the color for both outline and stroke (this is new to PS, and it reminds me of Illustrator, which I don't use because I hate it.  Can someone please advise?  I feel like a real dummy here!

Thanks,

Jenny

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 20, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adobe broke the line tool its more a vector tool like in illustrator now. It can create a line path that can be stroked.  It can not draw a pixel line or create line shaped layer for it can not create a four point line shape path. Even when you add arrow heads the two line that connect the arrow heads together are congruent there is no inside area to fill with pixels for a shape layer.  You can create arrowhead shape layers. 

You can draw pixels lines with the Brush tool. However, there is not preview like the line tool had.  Click and Shift Click  with the brush tool. Sorry you can not add arrowheads with the brush tool.  Use the line tool to add arrowheads to lines. Arrowheads will not be relative to line weight that has been removed.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, and YIKES. How does one create a simple line?  Adobe, this is a mistake and I hope you'll fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried creating a simple line after a month or so and I almost lost my mind after at least 20 tries. I guess we can always create a 1px wide rectangle to do the job 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe made the line tool work like so it's more in line with every other application except Photoshop, and there have been lots of complaints. Here's how it works now: set the alignment to center or outside and change the stroke width and color.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/line-tool.html

You can add your comments to the feedback forum, where the product team has already said they are looking for ways to restore the functionality.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-220-where-is-line-weightwidth-and-p...

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 1
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I finaly found what was the problem. When I checked the Stroke alignment setting in the stroke dropdown menu it was set to center and had a checkmark beside it, but when I opened More options... there it said the stroke alignment was set to inside, so I changed it there to center and now it works. It was a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will point the Arrow head right but there will be no line. If you stroke the paths  or outside the path there will be a line but the arrow heads will point past the target.  Adobe needs to address the line tool problem.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0
jane-e LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and I'm glad it's working for you now. 😊

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2021 0