• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Video files will no longer open in latest [20.0.1] PS and Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open MOV and MP4 files in Photoshop 20.0.1 on my Macbook running Mojave, I get the error message "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened".

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 10.27.02 PM.jpg

Video file will open in PS19

[Version number added after "latest" in title by moderator.]

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
48 Comments
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jonnyyoshi,

Sorry to hear that you cannot open mp4 and mov files in Photoshop as you're getting an error message "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened".

Could you please update to the latest version of Photoshop CC from the Creative Cloud desktop app and see if the issue persists. See Keep Adobe Photoshop up to date

Also, so you get this error message while opening a specific video file or does that happen with all the files?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue with PS2019 version 20.0.4 (currently up to date)

Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 iMac

Mojave 10.14.4

3.8 GHz Intel Core i5

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

I have tried opening .mp4 (H.264),

.mov (prores 422 & . h.264) at both 1080p and 720p

I get the same error as OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- As of this morning, having been creating GIFs from video just yesterday. All of a sudden, this morning I am unable to import videos into Photoshop in any way.

- Now I get an error that reads: Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened.

- The issue is definitely not the video format because I have tried open several video files that I created GIFs from just yesterday with no luck.

- I have uninstalled Photoshop completely, including preferences and all. Then rebooted the Mac, and I still got the same error message.

- I have tried reinstalling Quicktime (Because I read it in another post.) as well but the only version available is 7 and that did nothing as well.

- The only change between the last GIF created in Photoshop from a video was the installation of the DropBox app for Mac. Don't see that as being the issue, but I uninstalled it anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincelry, Ryan.

System:

iMac Pro (2017)

Mojave: 10.14.5

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 (Latest as of this post.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely something with the version of Photoshop. Just installed CC2018 and it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue. Happened overnight.

I was able to open video files on older versions of PS though.

System:

iMac Pro (2017)

Mojave: 10.14.5

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 (Latest as of this post.)

Cant open video in Photoshop (Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is a coincidence and needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

Can you provide some information about the source video you were using? (Format, 

I'll see if I can duplicate your experience.

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I truly appreciate the help, but I'm not sure you will be able to recreate the issue. I've tried every video format from MP4 h264 and h265 to MOV and more with no difference in results. Including files that I worked with hours before. Ones that worked perfectly fine hours before but now give me this error. That's why I am so mystified.  (Used Handbrake for coding.)

I'm not the only one. I'm not even the only one that this has recently happened to: Re: Video files will no longer open in latest PS and Mojave

danb58203565 has the same exact specs with the same issue.

Also, it works fine if I use older versions of PS. I had to get something done and download 2018 and it worked fine.

Thanks again for any help.

Ryan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

If I can duplicate this in PS 2019 then we can pass this over to the engineers as potentially a bug. If I can't duplicate it, we may need to look further at your side of things.

If it works with PS 2018 and fails with PS 2019, and is reproducible, we are on the way to getting it to the Adobe team for a fix.

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Lightroom won't open video either as well...

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.06.47 PM.png

And when I tried to open it while in Safe Mode on my Mac it gave me this error.

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 11.31.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until the last few weeks, I've been able to import MP4 video files into Photoshop with no issues, using them to create GIFs. In the last couple of weeks, whenever I try to import the files using Import Frames to Layers, I get the message "Could not complete your request because the file could not be opened". 

I use a MacBook, and I thought the issue might be that I hadn't updated the OS from the previous one to Catalina, but that has not fixed the issue. Here are more details of my system, if they help to diagnose things. As I say, Import Frames to Layers has been working fine until very recently on this system.

System:

MacBook Pro 2014

Catalina: 10.15

Processor: 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Photoshop Version: Photoshop CC 20.0.7

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

We are sorry about the issue you are facing while trying to import layers from a video in Photoshop.

The video files you are working with, have they been downloaded from some website or have you recorded them yourself using a device (the details of that device mey be helpful)?

You can try to add Photoshop to the accessibility list for macOS Catalina by going to Security and Privacy under the System Preferences, then navigating to the Privacy tab and selecting Accessibility from the list on the left. You can also grant access to the files and folders to Photoshop under the Privacy tab if you have not done that already. 

Once you have made the above mentioned changes, restart the computer and check if that helps.

You can also try to reset the preferences of Photoshop by following the steps mentioned in the article linked below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Please take a backup of your actions, presets, plug-ins, etc. prior to resetting the preferences.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj

Thanks very much for your help. I tried out what you recommended and I'm still having exactly the same issue.

The clip in question is a short MP4 video capture from VLC Media Player which I would like to turn into an animated GIF in Photoshop. This approach has always previously worked so I cannot understand why it is no longer working. Is there anything else I could try?

Best wishes

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now installed Photoshop 2020 and instead of the above error, I get a new one. The Video Import tries to initialise and then fails, giving me the message: "Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the DynamicLink Media Server is not available."

Please can you tell me how to fix this?

Best wishes

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue, with Photoshop CC 2018. Everything was working fine, until I installed MacOS Catalina. Now, whenever I try to open a video file in Photoshop, I get the "Could not complete your request because the DynamicLink Media Server is not available." error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul would you mind adding Photoshop 2020 to the Accessibility list as well and also grant access to the application to files and folders under the privacy tab in the security and privacy settings to check if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj

Thank you for getting back to me. I can confirm that I've added Photoshop 2020 to the Accessibility list and that I've added relevant folders to the Files and Folders list as well.

However, I'm still getting the same message when I try to import frames to layers: "Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the DynamicLink Media Server is not available."

Please could you let me know what I should try next in order to fix this?

Best wishes

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem and adobe support worked on it for hours.  Finally by removing everthing adobe and reinstalling new files I was able to open video files in Photoshop and Lightroom.  Unfortunately, after a short while the problem came back.   I guess I will live with it.   I have a Macbook Pro and am using Catalina OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to allow adobe to access your folders. Under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > files and folders 

Brand new problem under the new update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed this works just now. Same problem upon updating to Catalina and new PS. Had to give permission to a folder placed in the "relocated items" under "security." Now kids, work it out and play nice together please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with a MOV file but fixed it by  re-exporting my original video file through Media Encoder - H.264 Match Source - Hi Bitrate MP4. I'm currently using PSD 2020 and Mac OS Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a fix for this?! Having the same issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find this folder? I'm having the same issues and no one can solve it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set the permissions, but i still cant open any video files. This is so frausrating. Especially as i have to pay a monthly fee for something that doesnt even work!

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.27.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice it seems to of worked and it now allowing me to open videos 

Votes

Translate

Translate