Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't make a Package in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hai, 

so i have a problem with making a package in photoshop. 

So when i go to "package" it says "unavailable". 

i've tried everything, i also saved my file but still my package icon is grey and unclickable (see photo). 

Does anyone know how i can solve this problem? 

Thank you in advance. 

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-10 om 16.59.15.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show your Layers panel. Do you have a Linked Smart Object?

~ Jane

jane-e_0-1618067801303.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You beat me to it Jane 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, Dave, did you notice the embedded image is my layered psd from your starter image on this week's photo challenge?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/something-for-the-weekend-part-133-stepping-stones/m-p/1194...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ow sorry i'll insert a new photo.

It's a school project so it's kinda simple 🙂 i'm also really new with photoshop so i don't really know what a linked smart object is.... Sorry

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-10 om 17.41.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You don't have any SOs showing, but we can only see the lower half of your layers.

See this Help page and scroll to "Package Linked Smart Objects"

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html

It also explains Linked Smart Objects, which you get when you choose "File > Place Linked...".

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you VERY much!! 🙂

Dachny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dachny5FDF wrote:

Thank you VERY much!! 🙂

Dachny

You're welcome, @Dachny5FDF .

A question for you: is creating a Package part of the assignment for your school project?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hai 

No not really. 

The assignment wasn't really about making a package. The assignment was more about taking random objects/photo's and pasting them on another page. When we were finished we had to make a package for it. 

But they never really learned us or showed us how to do so... It's also the first time that i heard about those 'Linked smart objects'. 🙂

Dachny

(ps: Sorry if my english is not that well I'm from Belgium so English is not my first language) 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can write in your own language (French? Dutch? German?) and we can translate.

If you just place one image with File > Place > Linked, then you will have your Linked Smart Object and you can make a package.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jane is correct. The idea of a linked smart object is that source image can be edited and all other documents that contain smart objects linking to it will be updated. But that only happens if the links to beteeen the document and the location where the source images are stored are not changed. Hence the need to package them together if the document containing such linked smart objects is sent on to another PC.

However, if embedded smart objects are used, or the images are just pasted in as layers, then there is no need for packaging as the images are already contained within the document and there are no links to break. Of course this method means that if the source images are edited and changed then the document into which they are pasted will not be updated to match, so each method has its place.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your document contain linked smart objects to be packaged?

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/create-smart-objects.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

euhm, i don't think so but i'm also kinda new with photoshop... sorry.

But thank you for helping me. 

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-10 om 17.45.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea behind packaging is that other documents linked via linked smart objects are packaged up with the master document so that the entire package can be sent onward together. If your document does not contain linked smart objects then there is nothing to package. A fuller explanation is in the help file I linked in my previous post.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ow oke thank you VERY much!! 🙂

Dachny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to show the WHOLE layers pallete with all layers. Please make it big enough to show everything. People can't guess what they can't see... !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ow i'm sorry!! i hope this is better? 

Dachny Schermafbeelding 2021-04-12 om 20.46.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - that confirms what we said earlier, there are no linked smart objects to package.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hay

okey thank you very very very much!!! 🙂

Dachny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines