Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move layers into a new window - Photoshop [2017]

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Before I used to be able to drag layers from one window into another, to make a copy into another document. But for some reason I can't anymore. Help please! I have Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.

Kind Regards
Rachel

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

21.2.1 has broken the ability to drag from the layers panel to a document tab.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/version-21-2-1-drag-duplicate-layer-to-another-document-doesnt-work-anymore

In the meantime, copy and paste still works or dragging from the image area (as opposed to the layers panel) still works.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Dragging the image from the document window up to the tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more way, right click on the Layer or layers in the layers panel, then select Dulicate Layer and specify the document from the desitination settings.

to drag layer, Make sure the layer is not locked then click on it in the canvas and drage it to the tab where you want to duplicate, when the tab activate the document release it inside the document canvas NOT on the Tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using RGB in one document and CMYK in another, some adjustment layers won't transfer over. This happened when I tried to drag a HSL and Color Balance layers over. Converting the CMYK document to RGB solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue as well. One document is RGB and the other is CYMK but i can move layers over one at a time if I drag them. When I select multiple layers, they wont copy over. Very frustrating. I can't preserve my layout from one document to another. Also if there is an issue with compatibility, a error message would be nice... Anyone else noticing an overall degradation of adobe programs lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're now on Photoshop 21.2.1 and I just lost this functionality. How do I get it back? Worked fine until the update.

--- yes, I've reset my preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Had no trouble dragging and dropping layers into a different file until I updated this morning. What is it with Photoshop 2020? It seems RIDDLED with bugs compared to 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here after update to 21.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue after the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, and it is severly slowing down my workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use dragging often and this is no fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I can't drag folder with layers from one tab to another without arranging the view to show multiple tabs on one screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me either! Already reset but still facing that problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get around it by clicking on your move tool and clicking and dragging from the main window, instead of the layers panel like we used to, to the tab and dropping in the other document. Hope this helps ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dalenawatson - your workaround is great and is 'almost' as good as dragging the layer from the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.1 has broken the ability to drag from the layers panel to a document tab.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/version-21-2-1-drag-duplicate-layer-to-anothe...

In the meantime, copy and paste still works or dragging from the image area (as opposed to the layers panel) still works.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry thar you cannot drag/drop layers from one document to other in Photoshop 21.2.1.

This is a know issue and our engineers are working towards a fix.

The current workarounds are:

• Arrange the image windows side-by-side, then dragging will work.
  • Window > Arrange > 2 Up Vertical.
  • Using the Move tool, drag layer from the Canvas
  • Dragging from Layers panel to image tab using both mouse buttons
  • Right click layer > Duplicate > choose appropriate open document

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, 

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, now it only works if you arrange your windows so that they are both visible at the same time. Boooooo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to have both windows visible.  Just drag from the image area onto the document tab rather than from the layers panel.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Photoshop 21.2.2 and the ability to drag my layers just stopped working. Worked fine before but now I can pick up a layer but not put it down. Adobe please fix this, I have work I have to get done and this can't be happening right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Photoshop 21.2.2 and the ability to drag my layers just stopped working. Worked fine before but now I can pick up a layer but not put it down. Adobe please fix this, I have work I have to get done and this can't be happening right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be the most ridiculous "feature" that has ever been added or broken. Why break something that has been working just fine? I get that you can drag your layers from one window to the next still, great but the ISSUE is that it's no longer aligning to the second image without extra work. One used to be able to hold shift and drag and that was IT! Please fix this Adobe. Currently having to do WAY more to get layers to align in a second duplicate image than actually needed. This is something I do all the time and the extra work is now pushing deadlines back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me in 22.0 to drag to the tab and down with the Shift key. What version are you using?

If it's not working for you, post to the feedback forum at the link given in this thread on 24 July 2020 so the Adobe developers can see it.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works in Windows with v22 also, it was broken for one release then fixed

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines