Highlighted

Can't move layers into a new window - Photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Before I used to be able to drag layers from one window into another, to make a copy into another document. But for some reason I can't anymore!
Help please!! I have Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.

Kind Regards
Rachel

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

21.2.1 has broken the ability to drag from the layers panel to a document tab.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/version-21-2-1-drag-duplicate-layer-to-another-document-doesnt-work-anymore

In the meantime, copy and paste still works or dragging from the image area (as opposed to the layers panel) still works.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't move layers into a new window - Photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Before I used to be able to drag layers from one window into another, to make a copy into another document. But for some reason I can't anymore!
Help please!! I have Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.

Kind Regards
Rachel

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by davescm | Adobe Community Professional

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/version-21-2-1-drag-duplicate-layer-to-another-document-doesnt-work-anymore

In the meantime, copy and paste still works or dragging from the image area (as opposed to the layers panel) still works.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 30, 2017 5
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Dragging the image from the document window up to the tabs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more way, right click on the Layer or layers in the layers panel, then select Dulicate Layer and specify the document from the desitination settings.

to drag layer, Make sure the layer is not locked then click on it in the canvas and drage it to the tab where you want to duplicate, when the tab activate the document release it inside the document canvas NOT on the Tab.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using RGB in one document and CMYK in another, some adjustment layers won't transfer over. This happened when I tried to drag a HSL and Color Balance layers over. Converting the CMYK document to RGB solved the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2017 4
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue as well. One document is RGB and the other is CYMK but i can move layers over one at a time if I drag them. When I select multiple layers, they wont copy over. Very frustrating. I can't preserve my layout from one document to another. Also if there is an issue with compatibility, a error message would be nice... Anyone else noticing an overall degradation of adobe programs lately?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2017 2
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're now on Photoshop 21.2.1 and I just lost this functionality. How do I get it back? Worked fine until the update.

--- yes, I've reset my preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Had no trouble dragging and dropping layers into a different file until I updated this morning. What is it with Photoshop 2020? It seems RIDDLED with bugs compared to 2019.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here after update to 21.2.1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue after the update!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, and it is severly slowing down my workflow

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use dragging often and this is no fun.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I can't drag folder with layers from one tab to another without arranging the view to show multiple tabs on one screen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me either! Already reset but still facing that problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get around it by clicking on your move tool and clicking and dragging from the main window, instead of the layers panel like we used to, to the tab and dropping in the other document. Hope this helps ❤️

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 3
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dalenawatson - your workaround is great and is 'almost' as good as dragging the layer from the panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/version-21-2-1-drag-duplicate-layer-to-anothe...

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 4