• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open a PS file - 'Could not complete your request because of a disk error'

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a PS file, I get the message 'Could not complete your request because of a disk error'.

The PS file is a duplicate, I've copied/'saved as' an original PS file from an external hard drive to our network drive. It was previously working fine, I was able to open,

edit, export, save as and close with no problem. The next time I tried to open the file, the error message came up.

I managed to replicate this issue with a different file. Used the same procedure as before, copied an original file from an external drive to a network drive, only this time I couldn't open the file and I get the disk error message straight after opening the file.

I saved the original file from the external drive to my local drive, seems to work fine. I tried to copy the file from the network drive to my local drive but seems to have a separate issue with the file size exceeding the limit. (the file is 80mb)

There's over 150 BG of space available on my local drive, but not sure if this would be relevant as the file I tried to open is saved on a network drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

I found a solution for me!

I had the original saved to my desktop. End of my day, moved it into my network drive. Next day, wouldn't open. I re-downloaded the file from my network back onto my desktop and tried opening it there and viola! She works! Hope this helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chesterz,

As you are receiving a disk error could you please let us know which version Photoshop are you using and on which operating system?

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Thanks for your reply, I am using the latest version of Photoshop CC on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information, please check your recycle bin and make sure that it's not full.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked, it's empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Do you have any updates for this issue?

It seems that even a newly created file is also having this problem, likewise, I've created a new Photoshop file yesterday, saved it in our shared drive, tried to open it today and the same 'Could not complete your request because of a disk error' message came up.

Please advise.

Chester

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chester, please read this article as it might shed some light on working with network shared drives with photoshop:
Troubleshoot issues with networks, removable media in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well.  Made the switch, it worked, switched it back and it worked again!  Not sure why or how but this solved the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am on high sierra, macpro

Creative cloud photoshop   opening RAW files from Nikon D750

getting this error many times now

adobe tech support replaced the RAW plug in and it helped for 5 minutes and now problem even worse. over 10/100

ADVICE PLEASE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you try to restore the Photoshop preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprised Adobe personnel haven't answered this. I found a solution on another forum, and even though it makes no sense, it worked for me:

• Open Photoshop
  • Go to : Edit-> Preferences -> Type
  • Go to : Choose Text Engine Options
  • Change radio button selection from : East Asian - to - Middle Eastern
  • Press OK.
  • Close Photoshop and reopen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Allen,

Switching the Text Engine should have zero impact on hard drive errors or usage.  Moreover, many users cannot switch engines due to language usage (none of the Japanese-specific features, for instance, are available with the Middle Eastern engine and vis-versa).  If the problem disappeared after this switch then either a) it was coincidence or b) some setting file got reset with the switch and if you switch back, the problem should not return.

Hope that helps,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll reset it, but those steps were the last thing I tried. I only tried this after everything else you would normally do - as anyone who has used Adobe software for 20+ years would know.

So, I can't write off the solution and the problem being solved as non-causal.

Also, positing only these two options on a thread where others are finding the solution to work seems sort of counter-productive, considering the purpose of this forum and thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou so much, worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me. I started on one computer, went to move to main computer and nothing. I even brought all the layers to a new doc and moved it and nothing. Switched the language engine and BOOM, works fine.

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to everybody ...

I have this error when i try to open a raw file in camera raw from my macbook pro 2014 : Could not complete your request because of a disk error.

I have the latest PS CC version .  I tryed all of these tips but doesn't work ... When i open a photo from Lightroom to PS it works , but when i want to Open for example a CR2 file in PS.... that error appear.....What i can do ? I can't edit my photos ...from Camera Raw..

I need serious help guys ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vladu17  wrote

I tryed all of these tips but doesn't work

Hi

Can you tell us what you have tried so we can suggest something you haven't tried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with cleaning tool , uninstall my software , switch the text engine , restore from preferences.... i am a bit sad because doesn t work ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running this on your MAC

Check Hard Drive Health of a Mac with Disk Utility

Are the raw files saved locally on the MAC

Just another thing to try, go to Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw and disable this if it's enabled restart PS

Untitled11.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Janet : No..I don t use PhotoMechanic, i just want to open in Camera Raw a Cr2 file , the same problem was on Bridge , that error, now it is all okey . Thank you for all information ! It is very strange because suddenly all it is good...i did nothing ..i think that my laptop it is the problem.  ..hope in a few days when i will instal this suite(ps,lr,bridge)  on my imac to fit better.

Many thanks for help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you also using photo mechanic to open files, then edit in adobe programs? when i updated to the current photo mechanic 5 my problems went away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution for me!

I had the original saved to my desktop. End of my day, moved it into my network drive. Next day, wouldn't open. I re-downloaded the file from my network back onto my desktop and tried opening it there and viola! She works! Hope this helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing that info, Meaghan.  That should be helpful for a number of people.

Just to be clear, if you have troubles with a specific Photoshop file (or files), a great first step would be to try again with the files stored locally or in the Creative Cloud.  We have thoroughly tested the latter, but your particularly network setup could very well be unique or have its own peculiarities, which we're not aware of and which we cannot certify.

Hope that helps,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines