Highlighted

Can't open DNG file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boris0101_0-1598381493983.png

Hi,
I am facing an issue where I can't open a DNG file, it even gives me an error when I try to run it through Adobe DNG Converter. How can i fix this?

Topics

Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't open DNG file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boris0101_0-1598381493983.png

Hi,
I am facing an issue where I can't open a DNG file, it even gives me an error when I try to run it through Adobe DNG Converter. How can i fix this?

Topics

Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Photoshop version, ACR version and DNG converter version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS version: 21.1.3, ACR version: 12.2.1 and DNG converter version: 12.4

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this an issue on a single file, which could be corrupt, or on multiple files?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple files.
I forgot to mention that I am trying to open RAW photos that have been taken with a phone, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG convertor is for converting files to DNG rather than processing existing DNGs.

What phone is it from and can you post a link to an example DNG?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is from the OnePlus 7 Pro using the Google Camera mod (GCAM).
Sure, here's the link for the photo: https://easyupload.io/0wx49f

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. It won't open with Photoshop MacOS here either, but I got it to open in Affinity Photo easy.

GCAM is a third party Mod for Android cameraphones. The DNG files it generates won't open in Photoshop or Lightroom.

So you might go with Affinity for Windows (Microsoft Store) while you work with the GCAM developers on this. I tried some googling, but can't find anything to go on.

You can trial Affinity for 10 days to be sure it works.

In addition, try the Adobe Camera Raw forum and see if the forum members can help you. It's Camera Raw that has a problem with your GCAM generated DNG files.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/bd-p/camera-raw?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all

Gene

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the list for ACR supported cameras which I should have looked at first. I don't see the OnePlus 7 Pro listed.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but there are Pixel devices on the list, and I am basically using the same camera as the Pixel devices use, so it should work...
I tried opening a RAW image from the stock camera app, and it somehow works... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, then something is going on with the GCAM software. Still all you can do is let the developers know, and in the meantime use a third party app like Affinity or you can try the free Raw Therapee to see if will read those DNGs.

https://expertphotography.com/rawtherapee-free-photoshop-lightroom-alternative/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on OnePlus 7.

These ('corrupted') DNG's are from Google Camera v7.3. DNG's from v6.1 perceived well.

Maybe problem in metadata? 7.3 have more lines there. Maybe it makes some conflict.

Also these DNG's won't open in Capture One, while open in (as you say) Affinity Photo, RawTheraphee, Photo Ninja, Luminar, RawDigger. It all says that ACR and C1 are picky about something

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely they are picky about protocol; doing things correctly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would sound likely. We see it in other formats, where Photoshop will give an error if the file does not match the file specifications correctly, where some apps will still open the image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sergio67 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. But still sad because the reason of an error is thing that practically does not affect anything concerning workflow. Only some protocol matches, known only to Adobe (which could be easily skipped).

Is there any way to create Log file? And is there any chance that it will reach the devs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines