Highlighted

Can't open MOV file in Photoshop CC 20.0.5 Mac

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open an mov file for editing. I have tried multiple different files using both File/Open and Add Media from the Timeline. In all cases the program grinds for a long time and then comes back with  "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened."

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kenneth Kawamoto | Adobe Community Professional

Thank you for the video. It's HEVC, which is not supported by Adobe CC yet, I think. If I export it to MOV from QuickTime (with HEVC option unchecked), it will create H.264 MOV. Then encode this to H.264 MP4 from Adobe Media Encoder. The resultant MP4 will open in Photoshop. I know this is not elegant at all and you don't want doing it. Hope someone knows a better way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't open MOV file in Photoshop CC 20.0.5 Mac

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to open an mov file for editing. I have tried multiple different files using both File/Open and Add Media from the Timeline. In all cases the program grinds for a long time and then comes back with  "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened."

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kenneth Kawamoto | Adobe Community Professional

Thank you for the video. It's HEVC, which is not supported by Adobe CC yet, I think. If I export it to MOV from QuickTime (with HEVC option unchecked), it will create H.264 MOV. Then encode this to H.264 MP4 from Adobe Media Encoder. The resultant MP4 will open in Photoshop. I know this is not elegant at all and you don't want doing it. Hope someone knows a better way.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 01, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is for images mate a Mov file is video, owned by Apple and aimed at older software like Flash

you will need a codex to play the file in any media playing software and assuming you have a codex installed i.e, it plays then you could use Adobe Premiere to edit it

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop edits video and has for at leat 7 years Mate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 3
Enthusiast ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the video clip?

I made a short (7sec) .MOV file and I was able to open it in Ps via File>Open

When I've tried to work with large clips, I've ran into issues. Longer clips would work better in Adobe Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file I want to edit is quite large - 70 GB. But I have tried tiny ones of only a few seconds and 200 MB. I have used PS successfully in the past to edit mov files, but since the most recent upgrades, can no longer get it to work

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should mention that I have also tried mp4 files, with no luck

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried and I can open 4GB MOV instantly, but 70GB sounds a bit excessive. Can you create a smaller MOV (using QuickTime Player if you have no video editing software) and try again?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned, I've tried, 200 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB mov files. None will open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open your MP4/MOV in other software like video player?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course, they work fine in Quicktime.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2019 0
Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me a MOV file you can't open by any chance? (A small one )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a download link to a file (300 MB) DSCF8041.MOV - Google Drive

At this point Lightroom is also broken and won't import any video files. It seems that people have been complaining about this problem for many years.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2019 0
Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2019 1
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem. Via System Preferences > Security & privacy > Files & folders I allowed Photoshop access to my iCloud folder ”Documents” and after that everything worked fine. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 2
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working on Mac in versions 20.0.8 or 21.0.2. Works fine in Windows, version 20.0.6 using the same video file. It's a bug in the Mac version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same problem when I did a screen recording via QuickTime and tried to import to Photoshop. After 10 minutes of frustration I found out that the FILE NAME WAS THE PROBLEM because it was directly saved as 'Screen Recording 2020-01-22 at 1.34.18 PM.mov', so I just changed the name of the file to 'asd.mov' and it worked.

GUYS MAKE SURE THAT FILE NAME IS NOT CRETING THE PROBLEM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2020 0