• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't paste image into layer mask

Explorer ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why, but for some reason I can't post an image into a layer mask. I alt clicked it, it's editable, but pasting doesn't have any effect. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

If you are copying content of layer which is embedded in your document do the following:

• Select layer which content you want to copy in the Layers panel.
  • Ctrl + click on the layer thumbnail to select its content or if content is covering entire document use Ctrl + A.
  • Edit > Copy.
  • Ctrl + D to deselect.
  • Alt + click on layer Mask.
  • Edit > Paste. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt clicking on a layer mask will target the layer mask and it will be displayed in the image window as a gray scale mask. You should be able to paint on it and use  adjustments to modify the layer mask.   Paste will create a new layer in the current document that will contain the contents of the clipboard.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do is add a new empty Alpha channel and Paste in the clipboard the create the layer mask selection you want to to add to the layer mask. You can then use calculation to blend in the layer mask or you may simply want to delete the existing layer mask and add the alpha channels as the mew layer mask.

Capture.jpgCC2015Preferences.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that method as well, but it didn't paste either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't get it, I was able to ALT+click a mask and paste an image (in greyscale, therefore)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do is add a new empty Alpha channel and Paste in the clipboard the create the layer mask selection you want to to add to the layer mask. You can then use calculation to blend in the layer mask or you may simply want to delete the existing layer mask and add the alpha channels as the new layer mask

.Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, which version of Photoshop? 21.1.3?

It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too actually

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also able to paste content on layer mask after Alt + clicking on it inside latest Ps on Win machine. Perhaps problem is in step when you copy content because from what I can see yu have handles on screenshot and it seems you have entered Free Transform after pasting content. I was able to reproduce that after copying pure white content to clipboard and pasting it on layer mask. This is one of possible reasons why things does not work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, but how do I format the image in such a way that I can copy it into the layer mask? I don't see any options for it so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not see your source image for better advice. Have you tried to use Copy Merged instead of Copy if you have layered file as source?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bojan It's simply a jpg file embedded into the page. Copy merged is faded (not an option). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that Paste replaces the Layer mask it does not blend the clipboard into the existing layer mask.  You  would  would need to paste the image into a new alpha channel  then use calculations the blend the two channels into the layer mask you seem to want to create.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack Like I said before: whether I paste it in the layer mask or in the alpha channel is not the issue. The issue is that in neither situation the image is actually being pasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the image is in the clipboard.  Target the top layer then do a Paste is the image added as new top image layer?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are copying content of layer which is embedded in your document do the following:

• Ctrl + click on the layer thumbnail to select its content or if content is covering entire document use Ctrl + A.
  • Edit > Copy.
  • Ctrl + D to deselect.
  • Edit > Paste. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it, thanks. I'm familliar with ctrl+clicking the layer, but hadn't imagined needing it here.

Thanks for sticking by 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird... This method didn't work for me.

[video] 
I'm wondering if there's any way to do this in my case?
This answer is over a year old now. Has anything changed since then?

System Info:

• Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.3 20190130.r.57 2019/01/30: 1204598 x64
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
  • Version: 10 or greater 10.0.17763.475

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Missed Alt-ckick on the mask

upd.

Not by the button at the bottom of the panel, but by the mask itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed all the suggestions but it will not let me paste a photo into the mask. 

These are the steps i follow:

• Edit > Copy.
  • Ctrl + D to deselect.
  • Edit > Paste ------> this is where the problem occurs. Nothing is being pasted in the screen. 

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please watch this video https://youtu.be/pHpoZAMmGPQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ava, maybe should you do a screen recording, so that we can see what does not work.

Are you well clicking on the Layer mask itself, not the add layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the exact problem. I am following what people have said here exactly and it still simply will not paste in. All objects have been rasterized. I think it might be a mac thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact issue, following all steps - nothing will paste into mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoted potential problem. To paste on mask, Alt + click on mask, in video it shows Alt + D what is incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines