• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Place an Image because Scratch Disks Are Full

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to place an image in Photoshop CC 2018 (most recent update). I end up with an error message about how the scratch disks are full. I only have one scratch disk and when in preferences I can't deselect the disk. I've purged all my data, reset preferences, I tried deleting temp files (although I couldn't find any), I tried clearing even more space on my mac, and disk preferences don't give me any options other the Macintosh HD and startup which both give the error message. The only thing I haven't tried is defragging the hard drive. I have the most recent OSX update on my mac. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the drive and how much free space? That message usually means exactly what it says.

Is there anything you can move over to an external?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's 141.05GB for free space left I believe. I'm not exactly sure which number I'm seeing is the drive space. Where should I look for that?

Within Photoshop or laptop space in general? I still have 151GB of free space left on my laptop out of 249GB so it's not full. I can take some and put it onto a flash drive but I have no photoshop history or anything else I could potentially move that I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/g+h+o+s+t  wrote

I still have 151GB of free space left on my laptop out of 249GB

Hm, that's strange. That should be plenty and I really have no idea why the message comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah oh well. Thanks anyway! I'm going to try and defrag the hard drive and cross my fingers that it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can expect defrag to make no difference, because it doesn't increase the amount of free space, only organize it better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, one thing to check. When you get the "scratch disks full" message LEAVE IT ON SCREEN and go to Finder. Check the amount of free space now. What is it? DON'T GET RID OF THE MESSAGE UNTIL YOU'VE CHECKED.

Also, what is your exact Mac OS and Photoshop version? Please don't say "latest" because that as often as not, the problem is that it actually isn't... automatic updates can fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. You're right, it's only got 5GB of free space now.

I think it's version 19.1.2? and I have Mac OS X El Capitan (with the new security update also installed but that hardly matters)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El Capitan is s very long way indeed from being the latest Mac OS. There have been Sierra and High Sierra since then. I’m not suggesting you upgrade just now (will use even more disk!) but It it might turn out to be important.

So do your free HD drops to 5 GB, or that’s how it starts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, El Capitan is as far as I can update. I can try and get Sierra if my computer allows for it?

it drops down to 5GB but normally had more space. It keeps changing and I’ve gotten rid of almost everything I can. The only other thing I can get rid of is jsx files which I need for photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to find files of hundreds of megabytes, not tiny things like JSX files, that add up to gigabytes. Look at the actual space used by stuff. Or add an external disk for scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know but I don't have any. I have a program that constantly scans for big files and I don't have anything with megabytes. A few DMG's I need to keep but otherwise nothing. I can search my computer again though.

If you mean a physical disk, I can't. My computer doesn't have that option, it's too thin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An external disk. Buy carefully, look for performance and connectivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you don’t have an external disk, how do you backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Just had this problem that when dragging a photo to a new project it would say Scratch disk full.

Checked used space on the disk while the error still was on the screen. Low and behold. Free space dropped from 70 GB to 164 kb.

After seeing that i checked the size of the canvas and it was huge. 2324 cm times 1923 cm.

Created a new project and set the canvas size to 1000 times 1000 pixels and now the error is gone 🙂

Hope this helps someone

Kim Johannesen

It-support Lidl Denmark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really glad you said this, I have just bought a new laptop with twice as much storage as the old one and it was doing it. Went back and i'd set the canvas to CM instead of pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello defaultawcbszf04sj8

Glad to hear that this is a help to someone out there 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines