• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save existing Photoshop files without a external HD connected.

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been having this Issue for the past few days (I'm on a Macbook pro) where I open up a document in photoshop and I get this message 'Could not complete your request because of a program error.' I cant save the file or drag layers to another file. I tried coping the file and renaming it, I've uninstalled photoshop and restarted my computer but I keep getting this message.

This is only happening to existing files, I can create a new file and reopen it or save it with no issues.

So today I found out that when I have my external hard drive connected to my mac this error message doesn't come up anymore, and I can open any existing file with no issues. It's only when i disconnect my external hard drive this error comes up and the issues start to happen.

I also realised that when i try and eject my HD i get the message 'The disk "disk_name" couldn't be ejected because photoshop CC is using it.' but I don't have any files opened. Weird right?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Turned on my computer this morning and launched Photoshop, no error message. Not sure what's happened but it seems to be working now. I even got my IT department to have a look and they couldn't figure it out. Cheers for the replies, hopefully it stays fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows, but that SEEMS like you set your configuration inside Photoshop to use your external drive as the default open/save location

So check all of your program preferences... if that isn't the problem, I don't have any other ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know Photoshop has no default open/save location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but if he's been saving and opening ads from a location before,  it tends to go to the last location used as a default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that you reinstalled the software. Reinstallation does now build a new Preferences file. Try resetting Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your external set up as a scratch disk for Photoshop? Preferences/Scratch Disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turned on my computer this morning and launched Photoshop, no error message. Not sure what's happened but it seems to be working now. I even got my IT department to have a look and they couldn't figure it out. Cheers for the replies, hopefully it stays fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem... only when I work with file saved on External HDD Lacie. When I work on HDD what is in MAC, everything is OK. But Working on External HDD is like: Open file, make soma changes, and after that I cant save it, I have to save it with name--- for example: file_V2.psd... I am realy confused? Did any body fixed this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue on Mac (11.2.3) with a Lacie external drive. I can save a new file once as a PSD or TIFF, but if I make any minor adjustment it will not resave unless I do a Save As ( I don't want to keep making copies of my large files). I can open and resave JPEG files to the external drive with no errors. I can also save and resave PSD's on my local drive on my iMac with no errors. I also have no issues saving to the external drive from any other app on my Mac, and zero issues saving from Affinity Photo. I've tried all the permissions and other suggestions listed by Adobe and forum users and nothing has resolved this. Very frustrating to be paying for something that I can no longer use. 

This problem has been going on for over a month now and I keep hoping an update will fix the problem before I cancel my Adobe subscription and just use Affinity Photo as I have been since this issue began. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, was this resolved at all? Having the same issue. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It appears to be some issue with Windows formated drives. It turned out my Lacie that I bought from Apple was formatted exFAT. It had worked fine up until one of the Adobe updates earlier this year. I had to get another drive that was formated Mac OS Extended and move my files to that before the problem would go away. 

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines