Highlighted

Can't see transparency behind the image on websites even after exporting it as PNG on Photoshop?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I upload an image on web after converting it to transparent PNG why it doesn't show as checkboard when opened on web but it shows white colour instead? I have even tried to use 'Export As' and 'Save for web' options but still it doesn't show checkboard after being uploaded on web. It does show transparency when opened in Photoshop though. Does websites not support transparency?

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't see transparency behind the image on websites even after exporting it as PNG on Photoshop?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I upload an image on web after converting it to transparent PNG why it doesn't show as checkboard when opened on web but it shows white colour instead? I have even tried to use 'Export As' and 'Save for web' options but still it doesn't show checkboard after being uploaded on web. It does show transparency when opened in Photoshop though. Does websites not support transparency?

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you are able to see the transparent background when you are opening the exported file back in Photoshop, it indicates that the file is getting transported correctly. Though most (if not all) browsers support transperency in PNG files, it depends on the website you are uploading the image to as well. It may also be due to the theme selected for the website that is resulting in the background of the website (if it is white) to show up under the image.

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checkerboard is Photoshop way to indicate transparency, other software or tools may use some other indicator or may display whatever is beneath. When you upload to web site it will show whatever color is set to be background color, most likely white color.

Do not expect to see checkerboard around transparent areas unless you create that effect manually. Transparent areas are, well, transparent and you will see whatever is set for background beneath layer or space around or beneath as already explained.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah its showing transparent even in other softwares like Krita. I saw checkerboard in google images also so I expected them to appear in websites as well. But now I see websites mostly show background colour rather than transparent checkerboards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0