• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can’t upgrade

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro I can not upgrade to the latest software. Apple sit down the updates. So how can I get my old build back so I can use my software? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to use macOS Mojave on your Mac Pro which supports the latest adobe software including the just released photoshop 2021 (ps ver 22.0)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a medal card. If I install one and go to Mojave how much longer will I be able to keep everything working. Or is it better to just upgrade my computer? Thanks for the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buy a new computer.  Catalina was released last year.  Bug Sur is due to be released this year.  And next year it will be something newer...

Investing in Apple is expensive because they expect their customers to be on the latest equipment and software.   With Apple products, you're forever chasing the carrot on a stick.  All things being equal, you get more bang for your buck with a good Windows workstation.  I've been using Win10 for 5 years and I can use the latest Creative Cloud software, no problem. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what you are saying is a windows machine will not have these problems? All of my software is IOS everything else is IOS. What will I loose? Is it possible to load from IOS to windows? What's the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows has it's share of problems as well so it doesn't much matter the operating system.

What matters is the one you prefer to use.

If you get a metal card you probably have a year or so. There are some hacks to get newer operating systems like catalina to run on your mac pro, so that would give you another year or so in addition to the above year or so for mojave.

Anyhow, there is a bit of a dilemma facing mac users right now, whether to stay with intel and perhaps buy a new mac that will last 2 or 3 years till apple cuts off the intel updates like they did in the transition from powerpc to intel or wait and see what the new macs with Silicon processors are like.

All in all there is really no replacement for your mac pro unless you want to spend big bucks on a new mac pro, so buying Metal compatible graphics card seems like the least expensive solution till apple completes the Intel to Silicon transition and plus no one knows how long adobe will continue to make intel compatible software once Silicon processor macs are released.

Just my two cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell me how I can get Catalina to run on my Mac Pro. I am going to get a metal card so that should fix the problem there. But I want to get a few more years out of it. I have spent come decent money on this machine. I can't see paying a lot mere to get a new computer now. Especially if all things will change in a few years. If I can get to that point with my computer now that makes more sense. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be aware that macOS Catalina will not run any 32 bit software since apple removed all the 32 bit code, but that's not such a big deal on your mac pro since you can just use another drive for an earlier mac os.

Anyway here's the instructions:

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines