• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you crop a photo when using the "place" option

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered the "place" option and find it very convenient. However I don't seem to be able to crop my photos under that option (unsing CS4). 

If i do I end up croping the whole canvas which is not very good! I searched for an answer using different ways to ask the question but nothing seems to mix 'place' and 'crop'!

It certainly would make my life easier if it could be done. Else it is a lot more involved. I have to open a photo with photoshop, 

Select All. 

Cut it

Exit without saving 

Paste it on the canvas 

Transform it to whatever I want to continue my collage... But can't crop it!

With "place" I get my picture on the canvas and it is already on  transform mode. But this is when it would be good if I could also crop it down to only what I need of it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Hello again...I had more query but I got a "Authentification failed" so lost the lot. 

Anyway I found my own answer keeping searching for one. 

It's quite simple but requires some attention. 

When you "place" a photo on the canvas it becomes an object so to work on it, that layer must be rasterised. 

Then it is a simple task of selecting the area you want to keep or to delete with the marquee. So you copy  or delete the selection, then paste the part you want to keep and finally delete the original

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi when you place command it convert to smart object layer right click on it and rasterize it then you can do changes on it...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ali. However I tried this and ended up loosing the lot? It was only  start anyway. 

I had my canvas and put on it a background layer then merge the 2 layer. 

Then I 'placed' my photo and went to its layer and rastherised it. when I croped this would be selected photo the whole thing got croped. when I deleted it, all was gone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you can transform, position and mask them. That is how my Photoshop script populate Collages templates. The Script places in Images  them transform the placed image to fill the Collages image ares. Position the image to the collage image area then mask the smart object layer to the image area shape.  The scripts can also add as layer style to the smart object layer and stamp the Image name over the placed image in the collage. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this....are you using CS4? Because on mine I don't have all these options under Script. 

It's a little advanced for me and I don't understand too well using mask. 
I don't use template either just place me photos as I feel so sometimes I want a very slim panorama style photo that is when I want to crop it accordingly. But i can see your use of template looks much more professional.  
I'm not sure then if you're addressing my question perhaps you showing me another way to go about it. adobe script option cs4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again...I had more query but I got a "Authentification failed" so lost the lot. 

Anyway I found my own answer keeping searching for one. 

It's quite simple but requires some attention. 

When you "place" a photo on the canvas it becomes an object so to work on it, that layer must be rasterised. 

Then it is a simple task of selecting the area you want to keep or to delete with the marquee. So you copy  or delete the selection, then paste the part you want to keep and finally delete the original layer. 

As said I'm using CS4 and I was able to work on such trimmed photo like any whole photos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines