• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot get quick select tool to select or deselect like it’s supposed to. Please help.

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of Photoshop on a Dell Desktop PC with 32gb of RAMand several terabytes of storage.  I have been watching numerous videos and reading tutorials but for the life of me I cannot get the Quick Selection Tool to work the way it is supposed to.  For example,  I had a photo of a large bird on a simple background.  I selected the bird using the Select Object button then tried to use the Quick Select to refine it.  The first selection also grabbed some weed fuzz around the the bird's leg that I didn't want.  When I tried to eliminate the fuzz and just select the leg, the whole selection disappeared.  Usually If I try to add to a selection it grabs too much but when I reduce the size of the tool and try to take away some it either takes too much or takes away the entire selection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

The Quick Selection tool is quick, but not always accurate. That's the way it works. When it doesn't work then you need to use a diffent selection method. After Select Object, try Select and Mask. Other options include Quick Mask, Pen tool, other selection tools, or a combination.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Quick Selection tool is quick, but not always accurate. That's the way it works. When it doesn't work then you need to use a diffent selection method. After Select Object, try Select and Mask. Other options include Quick Mask, Pen tool, other selection tools, or a combination.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I guess if that's the case, I'm just a victim of believing what I see in the videos.  They all seem to make it work.  I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the same files that you are seeing in the videos? Most likely, they have chosen images with contrasting colors where Quick Select works well. It works well in some images, but not in all. ☹️

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No.  I don't ever use their photos because I want to learn to use things on my own, but your point is well taken.  Quick Select is "okay" in some instances, but far from perfect for everything.  Photoshop is a wonderful program, but you have to be willing to work with it and around it.

Thanks for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines