• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Merge Layers on Photoshop 2021

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing some older pictures and when I create a layer and then edit it, I am having many issues with the Merge Down or Flatten command.  I am receiving a program error and now I am forced to try Corel systems to let me do what I want.  Never had this problem before.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS version?

Presumably you have pleanty of RAM and spare disk capacity.

Check the system requirements: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

A screen shot of the Layers pallete might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 home on a i5 processor with 16gb of ram. I rebooted the computer and redid my saved edits and it worked. This has happened several times over the last two months.
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried this on a new I7 processor PC and the same thing happened, so it should be program related.  As it does not happen all the time, I shall have to wait until it happens again (hopefully never) before I can send any screen shots in.  I have read that several others have had the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have justs spent over 4 hours creating a design and now I cannot flatten layers to save my work, is says that there is a programme error.  Have you found a solution please? Stressed out ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved my file asa tiff and rebooted the computer. Tried it again and it worked. This has happened 3 times in the last two months.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claire,

You are saving your file first as a .psd file to make sure your layers are intact, correct? Is it after that you are flattening them? Have you tried exporting? Do you still have the same issue?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did save the picture as a tif and returned to try to flatten again and it worked. It did not work when i tried to save it as a psd.
I tried to merge the layers, then i tried to flatten the layers and both times an error message appeared telling me that a program error had occurred.

This has occurred 3 or 4 different times over the last two months.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claire – are you stating you worked for four hours on an image in Photoshop and didn't save it?

I recommend that you Save your work regularly and incrementaly named and save copies (internally and externally).

And always keep layered copies of your work in case you need to return to the image to do further workon it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am having the same probllem. Photoshop willl not allow you to save your project at all. when attempting to save regularly it is giving me a UNABLLE TO SAVE BECAUSE OF PROGRAM ERROR.

This same error appears when i open old photoshop filles. i have reinstallled Photoshop so many times over the last two weeks and it's not working. i have also used the control, command k trick to reset the preferemces upon opening and that's lno longer working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the same issue as well. I haven't been properly able to save my work for weeks now (since I updated to the new version). I can only save the file if I hide all the layers and leave only the background visible. But even then, I can't save the file as an image or anything else. .tiff files aren't working for me either. I can export if I rasterize every single layer and merge them myself, but that's extremely time consuming for larger files with many layers.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Since it's not only happening to me I assume it's a program error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

Having same problem as folks above...

Cannot merge down, cannot merge layers. Screen shot of generic error attached...

System info:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 25 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 128 GB
System Firmware Version: 426.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18
Panel Illumination Version: 1.4a6
Serial Number (system): F5KQ101VF694
Hardware UUID: 5D53E699-8CEC-5CD0-B8C1-12844E488C0A
Provisioning UDID: 5D53E699-8CEC-5CD0-B8C1-12844E488C0AScreen Shot 2021-01-11 at 9.06.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first encoutered this bug in version 22.1 of photoshop, i reverted to 22.0.1 and this issue never happens, havent updated to latest 22.3 version since i dont know if the issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Using 22.3 with no issues.

Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines