Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot move objects in Photoshop.

New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm working on a 2017 Macbook Pro and can't seem to move any objects within an open file in photoshop. Objects will move slightly then immediately snap back to their original placement. Seems like a glitch.

I've reset all my preferences, no luck, then uninstalled and reinstalled all CC software in hopes of eliminating this issue, I even downloaded the 2015 version of photoshop CC and the problem remains.

Is this software related or something to do with the laptop itself?

Here is the current OS & some specs of my hardware:

MAC OS SERRIA

Version 10.12.6

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Card: Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Has anyone dealt with this issue before?? Please help--Thanks so much!

Ryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

We're sorry to hear about this, could you please let us know which exact version of Photoshop you're working on and which operating system are you using?

Also, are you using any tablet?

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I'm currently using Photoshop CC 2017 version 18.1.1.252

However, I upgraded to CC 2018 version 19.0.0.277 and was experiencing the same issue.

Just to see, I installed an older version of photoshop CC 2015 version 17.0.2.195

And the problem remained.

Not using any tablet or wacom. Keyboard mouse only.

Ryan

Here's my the hardware specs of my laptop:

MAC OS SERRIA

Version 10.12.6

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Card: Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reset all preferences within photoshop and toggled off my GPU in the performance panel, relaunched, but the problem remained.

Just ran a diagnostic on my computer and no red flags via internal hardware. I'm guessing at this point it has to be a software issue???

Thanks so much for any insight,

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information with us, could you please try updating Photoshop to version 19.1.3 via the Creative Cloud Desktop application and let us know how it goes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There doesn't seem to be any updates available. The most current update brought me to, version 19.0.0.277.

Can you please advise?

Ryan

updates.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updates_app.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no update available, says everything is up to date.

Please advise on how to locate version 19.1.3

Thanks!

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know how to find the CC update to version 19.1.3

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, close and reopen the CC application, then you should see an update to 19.1.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same issue on Mac at work. Photoshop CC 19.1.0. The application is effectively unusable at this point as everything I move is snapping back on its own for no reason. Makes me glad I never upgraded from CS6 at home. Get your act together, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop since the version 5.5 and NEVER had a single problem with Photoshop. I just hated the Cs4 version but beside that, Photoshop si always smooth and reliable.

I'm running on both Sierra (macbook pro 13 late 2011 and a Rog Zephyrus Win 10) and it works just fine with every version.

The problem you are experiencing guys is very strange. Could it be some hardware problem?
Maybe some ram is about to die?

Hope you will be able to solve this issue asap,
cheers,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have TechTools or any software that is a diagnostic software this might help to locate the problem. I ran into this issue recently and restarting and upgrading solved the issue but sounds like you have already tried this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the Adobe products since Photoshop 3 (that's 3 before they even started the CS series). I've encountered my share of bugs with the products but none that directly impact productivity as much as this bug. This is literally preventing me from moving objects on the screen fluidly or easily.

This is a fresh install of High Sierra and CC on a MacBook as I just started a new position. Attached is a video of an object just randomly snapping back into it's original position as I drag it. You can see that my mouse is still pressed down when it suddenly snaps back. Also note that ALL snapping has been turned off in this scenario. I will check with IT about upgrading to 19.1.4 in the interim but I wanted everyone to see the bug in action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update – I've updated Photoshop to 19.1.4 and the issue is still there. I've been told by IT that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in version 19.1.5 and I am still having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's not good news. I'm currently downloading 19.1.5 through our corporate wide software system in the hopes that it will resolve this.

Seriously, Adobe – Get your @#&^ing act together. This is a particularly invasive bug that makes Photoshop damn near unusable and it's affecting your Enterprise Clients as well. Organizations with thousands of employees. Organizations that won't think twice about finding an alternative and dumping the Adobe suite altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved?

If not, could you share a sample file?

It looks to me that the object being dragged is going beyond the bounds of the document in some way. That causes it to snap back to the start of the move.

Has this file been cropped?

Or is/was an "Artboard" used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel – Answers below:

1. No. The issue is still unresolved. Our temporary solution is to hit command T when an object is selected (putting it in Transform mode) and moving objects with the Transform tool active. Otherwise, the object still arbitrarily snaps back into place. Doesn't matter what the object is (Vector shape, fill, drawing, text, etc.)

2. I can certainly share a sample file but all I need to do to recreate it is what I did in the video. Create a new file. Make an object on a layer. Select the move tool and move.

3. The object snaps back into place regardless of whether it's dragged off the document or within the document. Doesn't affect the issue.

4. File has not been cropped and no artboards were used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information. I would still like to try and get a sample file if you have time. Sometimes there are settings or clue's that may not seem obvious. I can be reached via [email address removed as per forum guidelines].

I see Ryan is on 10.12.6, does anyone have 10.13.6 High Sierra?

This is a reach but if you have Automatics Graphic Switching > is it set (uncheck) to always use "High Performance Graphics." ??

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 10.16.03 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested with ​Automatic graphics switching​ unchecked and the issue still appears to be happening.

Here is a test file: TestFile.psd.zip - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 10.13.6 – Currently, Automatic graphics switching is checked on my machine but I can try turning it off and seeing if that resolves the issue. I'll try to post a sample file when I'm back at my desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your patience and the test file.

Lets look at these options:

• Are you using any input devices like a Wacom or similar device?  If so, are drivers up to date?
  • Have you tried turning off some of the other Photoshop Preference options? Here are some areas we can just eliminate from the checklist.
    Under Tools uncheck > Enable Gestures and Flick Panning.
    Under Performance, may want to just switch off Use Graphics Processor. Trying to eliminate the possibility it is related to any GPU functions.
  • Under Enhanced Controls > uncheck Touchbar features.
  • Under the Menu > View > don't show/hide Rulers.
  • Under the Menu > View > Turn Snap on if it is off. OR Turn Snap off if it is on.

When you change the Preferences Quit and Restart Photoshop so that we know they take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Daniel! Feedback below:

• Are you using any input devices like a Wacom or similar device?  If so, are drivers up to date?

No input devices. This occurs whether I use a basic mouse or just use the touchpad on my laptop. Also – in terms of Adobe software, it only occurs in Photoshop. I am regularly using Illustrator, After Effects, etc. with no such issues.

As far as the other preferences, I went through and turned them all off as per the instructions below, quit, and restarted Photoshop. Issue is still occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update. I was looking back thru the thread again and wanted to make sure I have the right info to keep helping and also not make you repeat solutions.

• This bug is in the current version? 19.x
  • Did the bug appear in earlier versions? 18... etc ?
  • What other (Adobe) apps do you normally run with Photoshop?
  • In this current Photoshop version has it ever worked normally or did this just start happening after an update?

Oddly enough my wife mentioned to me she also had this issue on her Mac and in a previous version, but it was intermittent. I bring this up because she is an avid Illustrator designer and I wonder if there is any correlation here... Probably a stretch but worth mentioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines