• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot save as .pdf

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there people, I'm trying to create a .pdf file for a billboard for my jewelry store but I'm not being able to save as .pdf

I'm using photoshop trial version for 1 week and I'm currently kinda late on time because I need to make it ASAP.

I'm having troubles because the agency asking me for the file wants either the .pdf or the TIFF , but the second one is taking ages even to save, I have no idea how I'm gonna send it if I can't get the classic pdf =/

screen NO PDF 1.pngscreen NO PDF 2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

The document size is huge, which is why it is taking so long to save. As for PDF, odds are you exceeded the maximum page size. There maybe a limit on file size as well.

Try reducing the file pixel dimensions and see if that works. Before doing so make a copy of the tiff file you are currently saving and place it in another folder for a back up, just in case.

I am thinking once the pixel dimension are at a reasonable size, then it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

@CG Allen Yes that is a change in v 22.4 and would not have applied to the original issue from 2008.

Since v22.4, only file formats that can preserve all the content of your document appear in Save As. If a format cannot preserve all content, due for example to layers, bit depth, transparency etc then it appears under Save a Copy. In the case of PDF, the dialogues that follow mean that content may or may not be preserved (e.g. editability, downsampling etc) so it appears in Save a Copy.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document size is huge, which is why it is taking so long to save. As for PDF, odds are you exceeded the maximum page size. There maybe a limit on file size as well.

Try reducing the file pixel dimensions and see if that works. Before doing so make a copy of the tiff file you are currently saving and place it in another folder for a back up, just in case.

I am thinking once the pixel dimension are at a reasonable size, then it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for being so noob with Photoshop but you were right, I reduced the resolution to 200 DPI and the window menu allowed me to save also as pdf, in the meantime I already used wetransfer for the tiff file and sent to the agency but sending also the pdf may help I guess.

thanks a lot man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does seem weird, it should say "Photoshop PDF" in that drop down menu.

Another way to try to export to a PDF,  is to export each layer to a PDF. Not sure how your file is set up but you can try

either exporting your layers to files - File >Export>Layers to Files so you can export each layer into a page in a PDF.

Or if you had flattened files to export to a PDF, you can try File>Automate>PDF Presentation...

This way you can browse through a bunch of Photoshop files to add them to a PDF(it will flatten the layers into one file), or just browse and select the images you want to add, or just export each layer to a page in a PDF as I mentioned first above,

Hope this helps!

best,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I all of a sudden ran into this problem with a bad photocopy that I cleaned up in Photoshop and then wanted to safe as a PDF.  Not sure if this is a change in the current version of the progrram, but PDF would not come up as an option in the "Save As" menu.  However, there is a "Save a Copy" butten on the menu and when I selected that then all the Save As options became available - including Photoshop PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CG Allen Yes that is a change in v 22.4 and would not have applied to the original issue from 2008.

Since v22.4, only file formats that can preserve all the content of your document appear in Save As. If a format cannot preserve all content, due for example to layers, bit depth, transparency etc then it appears under Save a Copy. In the case of PDF, the dialogues that follow mean that content may or may not be preserved (e.g. editability, downsampling etc) so it appears in Save a Copy.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been driving me crazy for several weeks now.

As a service bureau just opening .jpgs, .pngs and .tiffs to save as a PDF why does it matter if its "save as" or "save as a copy"? Either way you are creating another file.

It's use to be if you flattened the image any file option not available would appear in save as.

Why does Abobe over complicate was doesn't have to be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why does Abobe over complicate was doesn't have to be?"

This was not driven by Adobe. The change was needed due changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes were applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

See explanation from Adobe here : https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/p-save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22-4/m-p/12042...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@davescm Hi Dave, I currently experiencing the same issue where i cannot save my psd file to pdf format, I'm not sure why. I've tried lower down my image size, and also I've tried the save a copy option but it doesnt allow mw to save as pdf. Do you know whats going on? Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines