Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot use Move tool to drag layer from image to image in Photoshop 2020

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,
I've just recently updated to Photoshop 2020 (version 21.1.0) and had this problem, which I can't use Move tool to drag layer from the source image to another image (using floating windows) anymore and everytime I try, the message below popped up. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 5.01.36 pm.jpg

I was able to move the layer easily between images in the past, even if it's a Locked Background Layer and I kept all the settings from the old version so not sure what went wrong here.
Of course, there are other ways to work around this issue like Copy-Paste and drag the layer from Layers Panel but it shouldn't be like this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to understand your question

try this: drag the layer to the TAB name 

layer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugenio_NYC, as your suggestion, it works when opening document in TABS but doesn't work with Floating Document Windows. Due to my workflow, I usually open many images at the same time to stack them up, so floating windows works better for me.

The weird thing is I tried it again today and it worked for a couple times then going back to that message again.

Sorry I'm trying to explain myself better here.

This is from Adobe Help  for Photoshop Elements but it's the same in Photoshop.

What I'm trying to do is the one highlighted in Red, using Move Tool.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 8.30.22 am.jpg

For example: 

I want to use Move Tool to drag the Blue image to Red as below.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 8.38.00 am.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to PS 2020 today and am having the exact same problem.  I can no longer drag layers to other open (tabbed) files, but have no problem doing so in the 2019 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's a known issue in version 21.2.1, it's not working for me either

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/version-21-2-1-drag-duplicate-layer-to-anothe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just updated to latest version (10/22/2020). Mine does the same. Holy, that sucks. Was so quick and easy when it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines