• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Use Stroke Overlay on pixel art without Anti Aliasing

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if therr is a work around or if I should forward this to a feature request.

But when using the stroke overlay, it always anti aliases pixels. As does

Drop Shadow

Strangely, Outer Glow does a better job at "Stroking" than the actual stroke feature excepr stroke follows the rules of pixel art except for the blasted anti aliasing.

Steps to reproduce.

Create a new doc. Any size.

Lets say 128x128

Create a new layer. Draw three pixels on the layer.

Go to stroke.

Set size to 1 and everything else to 0.

And low and behold, antialiasing occurs, which I neither asked for nor should it be automatically decided for me that I want it.

Occurs on both my home and school pcs and both have all updates.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an amatuer user. I am at the experience level where know when the solution is not likely to be anything short of code improvement on the developer end or scripting on the front end.

Attached is a video in which you can reproduce the steps in under 20 seconds in any copy of photoshop.
It is not an export issue. It is base level feature that is not available and should be.

https://youtu.be/JEjvOdyStFE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why post here instead of making a Feature Request at the correct location? 

»It is base level feature that is not available and should be.«

I disagree. 

And in the scenatio your video shows I wonder why you even use a Layer Style and not a Shape Layer Stroke. 

Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 08.13.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're okay with not using a Layer Effect, you could select the layer's transparency, and Edit > Stroke.It would probably be a good idea to use a separate layer for the stroke.

Unlike with a Layer Effect, this will not remain "Live", so you will have to redo it if you change your pixel layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»And low and behold, antialiasing occurs, which I neither asked for nor should it be automatically decided for me that I want it.«

You decided to use the Layer Style, didn’t you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use selection tool (circle or whatever), uncheck anti-aliasing for THIS TOOL. Stroke and pen usage on selection later won't be anti-aliased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Instead of using a Stroke layer style you could use an Outer Glow layer style where one can uncheck Anti-aliased.

lsog.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines