Highlighted

Canon 5D iv - RAW issues with Photoshop and Camera RAW

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive signed up to CC and today spent long unresolved conversations with adobe

When opening RAW files in PS the raw image thumbnail will not show.  Therefore I have to upload both jpeg and RAW file from camera to enable me to see what the image is. All I have is the CR2 logo instead of an image.

I can see all the CR2 images that were shot with my Canon 5Diii, but none of the ones taken with the 5Div.  Adobe finally concluded it must be a graphics card issue, but that doesnt make sense .... it would presumably effect both cameras images if that were the case.  The card is an older one for sure, Radeon 7500 series, but only 5Div images are effected

So I really have the same issue as I did with my old CS6 version  ... but of course now I'm paying monthly for it!

So in desperation I'm asking if anyone has a clue as to why RAW images taken by a 5Div wont show on CC?   Everything is updated, nothing is out of date, even updated Windows 10!

TOPICS
Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Canon 5D iv - RAW issues with Photoshop and Camera RAW

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive signed up to CC and today spent long unresolved conversations with adobe

When opening RAW files in PS the raw image thumbnail will not show.  Therefore I have to upload both jpeg and RAW file from camera to enable me to see what the image is. All I have is the CR2 logo instead of an image.

I can see all the CR2 images that were shot with my Canon 5Diii, but none of the ones taken with the 5Div.  Adobe finally concluded it must be a graphics card issue, but that doesnt make sense .... it would presumably effect both cameras images if that were the case.  The card is an older one for sure, Radeon 7500 series, but only 5Div images are effected

So I really have the same issue as I did with my old CS6 version  ... but of course now I'm paying monthly for it!

So in desperation I'm asking if anyone has a clue as to why RAW images taken by a 5Div wont show on CC?   Everything is updated, nothing is out of date, even updated Windows 10!

TOPICS
Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I have a 5Dmk IV and do not see the images in File - Open for those or for my older 5D (mk 1). Both cameras are set to raw only and not to embed a jpeg. It sounds like your mk111 may have been set to embed a jpeg and File - Open, which uses the Windows dialogue, was reading those.

The answer is simple though. Use either Bridge or Lightroom to view the files and then open from there into Photoshop. In the case of Lightroom you can also carry out the raw processing without opening Photoshop at all. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But sadly Bridge wouldnt view the images either, same problem.  However, see my post below ... it was noting to do with CC after all  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provided you have an up to date version of Bridge, and Camera Raw then Bridge should have no problem showing the images. I do not have any additional codecs installed here for Windows but can view in Bridge and Lightroom.

Viewing in File - Open would indeed require a Windows codec as it uses a Windows dialogue.

Dave

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always had raw file thumbnails in Windows natively, no codec ever installed. Both Explorer and File > Open.

Of course, it's not the "raw file", but the camera-embedded jpeg. Maybe it's because I convert to DNG?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 1
davescm LATEST
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I apologise. I just rechecked and when I looked earlier I had Windows set to show details rather than icons.

So in Windows dialogues (File Explorer and Photoshop's File >Open) I see thumbnails for DNGs and CR2 files from my 5D Mk1.  CR2 files from the 5D MkIV do not show thumbnails. I suspect , as confirmed by Jon5FE2 that the windows codec can't read them.

That does not change Bridge or Lightroom though which can show thummbnails and previews for all my raw files.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, since posting this Ive come across a solution that involves a little lateral thinking.  Its actually nothing to do with CC, camera RAW or bridge ..... it's the way that windows 10 presents raw images.  Seems pretty logical now  .... but if anyone has the same issue then downloading a simple RAW image extension from Microsoft will solve the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 0