photoshop, bridge and lightroom

who nows what to do

k

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Deleted User
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Hi

The Canon EOS R5 is not listed on the Camera Raw support page

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

You may have to wait for an updated version of Camera Raw, in the mean time you can use the DNG convertor

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

For more info on camera support cadence: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/why-is-my-camera-not-supported.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

@Bob22140177houa Holding your horses for what? The R5 has been supported since ACR12.4 was released in 2020.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The Canon EOS R5 is not listed on the Camera Raw support page

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

You may have to wait for an updated version of Camera Raw, in the mean time you can use the DNG convertor

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

For more info on camera support cadence: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/why-is-my-camera-not-supported.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is probably a dumb question - but I've only ever edited CR3 in PSCC, is the converter you're talking about an editing software too? If not, does it just convert to JPEG, in which case I could just shoot CR3 and JPG and save myself the conversion?  I just got the R5 and am not sure what to do with the files, but want to edit them as I normally do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"does it just convert to JPEG"

No, DNG is a raw file, not a jpeg. See Adobe Help here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beta DNG converter works well. HOWEVER, Lightroom/ACR really doesn't do a great job in giving you a good result of your images. Capture One Pro is THE best solution. Canon's DPP update will let you process the raw files also but it likes the real fidelity of ACR/Capture One to get the best of your images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update Camera Raw to support the Canon EOS R5 and R6 now! DNG converter is fine, except it takes additional precious time away from my productivity, and produces another set of huge files. Adobe should of been on top of this way before the cameras were released. Please light a fire under the team responsible for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold your horses. Those cameras were just released and this happens with EVERY new camera because Adobe has to reverse-engineer the files.

You can use Canon DPP or the beta DNG Converter for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi from Vienna

as far as i understood DNG Converter works with R5 CR3 Files in a Betaversion for Windows..?

What do i do as a Mac User?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac and it works for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have a DNG Converter for Mac

you convert c3 Files from a Canon R5 into DNG s?

because i have the Same Set Up and Those Files are grey i cannot select them, therefore i cannot Convention them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert them, sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the most recent beta converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New R5 owner...long time Adobe user, first time poster on this thread...I read this thread with great interest and have downloaded the latest beta version 12.4 and it appears to install correctly, the program opens, I can navigate to a any folder, but it doesnt seem to "recognize" or "see" any of my image files (folder looks empty = no file listing when I know the folder has files), whether they are .CR2 from my 5D MkIV or .CR3's from my RA and especially not my .CR3's from my R5.  I've redownloaded the ZIP file and reinstalled the program 3x without any improvement.  Interestingly I dont see the program on the list of applications--almost like its hidden for some reason--otherwise I'd try to uninstall and reinstall.  Any thoughts/suggestions?   Thanks in advance!  Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh...my bad regarding the previousl post as it seems the DNG converter doesnt actually list the files in the target folder, nor does it provide an option to selectively pick and choose...but I have successfully converted a folder full of .CR3 files to .DNG's by just pointing the program at the correct folder and hitting the go button.  Pretty quick process.  Thanks!  Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that we now pay a subscription to ensure the app can do what we need it to, when we need it to. I think it's unacceptable that Adobe and all its resources is not and has not in the past, made a real effort to resolve these compatibility issues so as not to disturb the work flow of its users, this is what what a subscription is for. Otherwise let's go back to the retail box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Adobe supposed to do? Hold a gun to Canon's head and demand the file specifications? You apparently don't understand how this all works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with the raw convector to dng it goes,

i got him from adobe suport, till the end of august,

i think they than will have the software to open the files for real

lets hope ,-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get they have to reverse engineer the files. But is it not possible for them to receive the files before the camera launches? They sent out preproduction models a month before launch, seems odd that Adobe has to wait until official market launch to even get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we all should realize Canon has no obligations to share information about it's raw files with anyone, whether it be Adobe or any other photo editing developer. Canon has its own software for that--DPP. There is a reason that your raw files in Lightroom/ACR never look like your the preview on your LCD but they DO in DPP. Canon's RAW files are pripreority. It's up to application developers to reverse engineer the files to work with its applications. As for the preproductive units, that's akind to beta software--not all the bugs are worked out yet. You think people are vocal now! Imagine the "outrage" in these threads if Adobe released an update of ACR based on "beta" information. Which is probably why they decided instead to release the beta DNG converter.  And as well as the beta DNG converter works, I feel (based on what I get from DPP), the actual raw files under an updated ACR (based on production units) will be better than what I'm seeing using the DNGs from the beta converter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've been holding my horses for more than 7 months. Come on Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bob22140177houa Holding your horses for what? The R5 has been supported since ACR12.4 was released in 2020.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I know we're mostly photographers here at various stages from hobbyist to working professionals. But clearly there is a lack of understanding about how software development works! Very rarely has Adobe (Lightroom/ACR) or even PhaseOne (Capture One) had profiles for new cameras the day they were released. And there have been a bunch of new cameras released recently. Just because we pay a monthly subscription it has no affect on how Canon, Nikon, or Sony works with software developers to ensure capatability. If you're going to point fingers, it should be at Canon (or Nikon, Sony). The beta DNG converter (Mac/Win) does work. However as mentioned, you have to convert the whole FOLDER rather than an individual file. Canon's DPP works well IF you're familar with to use it. I swear sometimes some of these post reminds me of the days when I was jailbreaking my iPhone and people would give the guys who developed the jailbreaks crap about not having a jailbreak ready the day an update came out. And they were NOT getting paid by ANYONE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont believe this has anything to do with software development , this has everything to do with the fact that two of the largest comapnaies in the photography world cannot work together as partners .... Canon has no interest in developing photoediting softwae to my knowledge and Adobe has no intention of building a camera , so its in the best interests of both companies to work together......  there is no way that the spec for the CR3 file could not have been made available in plenty of time for Adobe to ensure compatability when it is released,  even if there were minor adjustments before final release.  The truth is these great companies should work together more closely.  I think its really bad  that I buy a Canon R5 and cant edit the raw files in Adobe because of company politics 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Kevin, you're totally wrong about this. "there is no way that the spec for the CR3 file could not have been made available in plenty of time for Adobe to ensure compatibility when it is released." But Cannon didn't choose to. Neither does Nikon. The onus is on the manufacturers, not Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 9.4 & Lightroom Desktop 3.4 which integrates Camera Raw 12.4 and now supports the Canon EOS R5 raw files.

Here's a list to the other newly added camera support in the August release: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html 

To update Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop to the latest version, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to the app. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/update-app.html 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines