Highlighted

Cant open video in Photoshop (Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened.)

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- As of this morning, having been creating GIFs from video just yesterday. All of a sudden, this morning I am unable to import videos into Photoshop in any way.

- Now I get an error that reads: Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened.

- The issue is definitely not the video format because I have tried open several video files that I created GIFs from just yesterday with no luck.

- I have uninstalled Photoshop completely, including preferences and all. Then rebooted the Mac, and I still got the same error message.

- I have tried reinstalling Quicktime (Because I read it in another post.) as well but the only version available is 7 and that did nothing as well.

- The only change between the last GIF created in Photoshop from a video was the installation of the DropBox app for Mac. Don't see that as being the issue, but I uninstalled it anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincelry, Ryan.

System:

iMac Pro (2017)

Mojave: 10.14.5

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 (Latest as of this post.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cant open video in Photoshop (Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened.)

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- As of this morning, having been creating GIFs from video just yesterday. All of a sudden, this morning I am unable to import videos into Photoshop in any way.

- Now I get an error that reads: Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened.

- The issue is definitely not the video format because I have tried open several video files that I created GIFs from just yesterday with no luck.

- I have uninstalled Photoshop completely, including preferences and all. Then rebooted the Mac, and I still got the same error message.

- I have tried reinstalling Quicktime (Because I read it in another post.) as well but the only version available is 7 and that did nothing as well.

- The only change between the last GIF created in Photoshop from a video was the installation of the DropBox app for Mac. Don't see that as being the issue, but I uninstalled it anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincelry, Ryan.

System:

iMac Pro (2017)

Mojave: 10.14.5

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 (Latest as of this post.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 13, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely something with the version of Photoshop. Just installed CC2018 and it's working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

Can you provide some information about the source video you were using? (Format, 

I'll see if I can duplicate your experience.

Thanks,

Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I truly appreciate the help, but I'm not sure you will be able to recreate the issue. I've tried every video format from MP4 h264 and h265 to MOV and more with no difference in results. Including files that I worked with hours before. Ones that worked perfectly fine hours before but now give me this error. That's why I am so mystified.  (Used Handbrake for coding.)

I'm not the only one. I'm not even the only one that this has recently happened to: Re: Video files will no longer open in latest PS and Mojave

danb58203565 has the same exact specs with the same issue.

Also, it works fine if I use older versions of PS. I had to get something done and download 2018 and it worked fine.

Thanks again for any help.

Ryan.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

If I can duplicate this in PS 2019 then we can pass this over to the engineers as potentially a bug. If I can't duplicate it, we may need to look further at your side of things.

If it works with PS 2018 and fails with PS 2019, and is reproducible, we are on the way to getting it to the Adobe team for a fix.

Thanks,

Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Lightroom won't open video either as well...

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.06.47 PM.png

And when I tried to open it while in Safe Mode on my Mac it gave me this error.

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 11.31.56 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to allow adobe to access your folders. Under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > files and folders 

Brand new problem under the new update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020 6
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed this works just now. Same problem upon updating to Catalina and new PS. Had to give permission to a folder placed in the "relocated items" under "security." Now kids, work it out and play nice together please.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 3
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find this folder? I'm having the same issues and no one can solve it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set the permissions, but i still cant open any video files. This is so frausrating. Especially as i have to pay a monthly fee for something that doesnt even work!

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.27.19.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice it seems to of worked and it now allowing me to open videos 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you KINNGGGG *heart eyes emoji*

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone all the way up to Privacy, but I don't see any section that says 'Files and Folders'. Anyone know why not? I've restarted my computer, which does the trick most of the time, but not this time. I uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop 2020. The files I'm trying to make GIFs from are .mov, which is the file I've used ever since I learned how to use Photoshop. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem.

Whenever I tried to open a file from my desktop, it failed.

When I dragged it into Documents folder, it magically worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone resolved this? My photoshop just updated to 2021 and I can no longer import video what is the solution for this? None of these worked. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about on Windows? Where do I find this on a PC? I don't have 'files and folders' on my PC. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_4.png

this happen at 12:21AM Saudi Arabia, Date: 9/28/2020, my pc specs: CPU : i7 7700 intel
GPU : 2070 super asus
Power supply : Cooler master 750 W
RAM: Samsung 16 Gb
SSD : 2 TB , HDD : 2 TB
Mother board : hp
Monitors : Benq XL 2311 144 hz, Second GW2270H 60 hz
Keyboard : Logitech G213
Mouse : G pro
Headset : hyper x cloud 2 Xbox edition
Webcam : C920

Photoshop version: 21.2.3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0