Cant save a file "because the file is locked, you do not have access permissions"

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the whole message says " Could not save (file) because the file is locked, you do not have the necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file.  Use the "Properties" command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file.

I have Windows 10 so have looked in the properties command of File Explorer and there is no way to unlock a file.  I have also looked at the previous forums and have had no success.  I was thinking Google Drive might have something to do with this. 

I'm thinking the only thing to do is to uninstall PS and reinstall (which I don't know how to do).  Unless anyone else has a bright idea.

Thanks a lot. 

I found the answer on another thread.  It was the anti virus causing the problem.  I uninstalled Avast and now I can save.  Problem solved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alisonj86137471,

Could you please try the steps mentioned below: -

Quit Photoshop, then press Command + Option + Shift on cold-starting Photoshop. Get the keys down quickly enough and you'll be asked to confirm deletion of your current preferences.

Also, if you're having file format problems, ensure you haven't somehow tied in plug-ins provided by Adobe for a different (e.g., older) version of Photoshop.

Regards,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Command option shift is for an apple,  I don't see those keys.  I have a PC.  I tried  ctrl, alt, shift but that had no effect.

What should I do for a PC with Windows 10?

Thank you 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try Lockhunter. I've used it many a time to get rid of those annoying dll etc's that some software companies think we want left cluttering our hard drives with no way to remove (sans Lockhunter type programs). It'll show you what is locking it and in some cases I've had more than one culprit locking them. Hasn't failed me yet. Might be worth a try to save you having to do a re-install.

LockHunter is a free 64/32 bit tool to delete files blocked by any processes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just use 'Save As' and save with a different name, then sort out the conflict later.  You can't close and restart Photoshop, because you'd lose your work! 

Sometimes it might not be obvious that the file is open, or being used in another application, so with Windows, we look at the hidden icons in the Task Bar.  The sort of situations that can lead to this is if you opened the image from and email application, and the email recognizes that it has changed.  Alt tabbing through active windows might find a 'Save Changes' dialogue'.   I have no idea how this works on Mac systems.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you for the advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool, it worked only after changing the save location disc from "C"(system) to "D"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer on another thread.  It was the anti virus causing the problem.  I uninstalled Avast and now I can save.  Problem solved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This helped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm; just uninstalled Avast and everything works fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah u just help me with that!
even in 2020 it wos a problem for me, but i just unistall the Avast and the file saved.

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I have the same problem, but You think I can work without antivirus? Thank You.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines