• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canvas becomes frozen during work

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm working on pictures, the canvas randomly freezes and stops "refreshing" as it were, the rest of the UI and interface is completely functional it's just as if someone hit the pause/stop button on the canvas/work area. I've tried to disable graphic (card) acceleration/use but that's not worked. I've uninstalled/reinstalled drivers for both my drawing tabletsoftware (I use a Huion q620m Dial, got the same crash without it) and graphics drivers as well. I am at a complete loss as to what I should do, none of the fixes seem to be working
I have a 2080 super RTX nvidia card 16 gigs of ram 10 of which are given to PS, and a Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz with water cooling. It can't be the my computer and persists through uninstalls/reinstalls so I need to know how to fix it. Please help!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU seems like the primary suspect, but what have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've disabled GPU usage (gfx card usage) in photoshop, turned all the settings off, unticked all the boxes for the GPU/graphics menu, set the settings from advanced to low, I don't think the graphics is an issue. Ill try resetting the preferences to see if that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried to reset the settings. Got the crash again. Nothing in the basic troubleshooting guide about freezing during use
😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I did was turn off pixel gridlines under show in View so it wasnt preferences..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gonna try it one more time w/o graphics processor on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: Changes of Photoshop’s GPU settings only take effect after restarting Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well my only gripe with this aside from the fact that the Zoom function is totally different if not a bit annoying now is that I can't rotate the canvas which makes using my screen tablet infinitely harder cause I can't turn it or rotate the image to get proper strokes down, how do you get around this?? One problem gone, another taking its place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately turning off »Use Graphics Processor« is no proper solution anyway as it invalidates GPU dependent features (like the Rotate View Tool, 3D Features and some Filter acceleration for example) but it indicates problems with the GPU driver or the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's terrible. So my only solutions are reinstall windows/my graphics drivers? Or is photoshop just unusable on this device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe themselves say that my gpu should be more than enough in terms of GB, so it  might just be a software issue but I dont know what that might mean for me to do.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gonna reisnstall gfx drivers. If that doesnt fix it I give up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reinstalled them. Nah. Didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:shrug: Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on Mac myself, but Windows users among the Forum regulars have mentioned that it can make a difference to update the drivers from the GPU maker’s site instead of through Window’s distribution. 

And to make matters worse sometimes an older driver might work better than a newer one … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

Same problem overhere.

Just got a new computer with new GPU. We've tried everything mentiont above nothing works.

I'm getting really frustrated that a program like photoshop is having this much bugs.

Hope that some one find a solution becous i'm losing work hours over this and getting very frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Photoshop does not work even with Â»Use Graphics Processor« turned off and restarted? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem gets worse if i do that. It glitches or photoshop freezes complete.

It is realy weird. Somethime is happens 3/4 times i a row and other times i can work for hours and everything is fine.

Yesterday my husband ( he works in IT) spend hours trying everything and then it worked fine for 2 hours and this morning whitin 10 minutes the canvas froze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://pastebin.com/Eu3e27uH 
Here's the System info DIRECTLY after such a crash. Ive reinstalled all my graphics drivers, my tablet drivers, the only thing I've not done is reinstall photoshop with a clean folder and everything but I'm just so tired of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines