Highlighted

CC Photoshop files saving as Photoshop files and then changing to .tmp files

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having issues with Photoshop files changing to .tmp files when we revisit them after a period of time. This is in a secondary school where students save to their own network drive. Students are saving the Photoshop file into their own network drive, however when they log off and come back to open the file a week later, the file has changed to a .tmp file and they cannot open it again. I've tried changing the end of the file name from .tmp to .jpeg but it doesn't seem to work. 

I've attached a screenshot of where I've tried to copy and change the extension. Any help would be appreciated!

TOPICS
Enterprise, Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CC Photoshop files saving as Photoshop files and then changing to .tmp files

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're having issues with Photoshop files changing to .tmp files when we revisit them after a period of time. This is in a secondary school where students save to their own network drive. Students are saving the Photoshop file into their own network drive, however when they log off and come back to open the file a week later, the file has changed to a .tmp file and they cannot open it again. I've tried changing the end of the file name from .tmp to .jpeg but it doesn't seem to work. 

I've attached a screenshot of where I've tried to copy and change the extension. Any help would be appreciated!

TOPICS
Enterprise, Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not support working across a network drive.

See here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

"Technical Support strongly recommends working in Photoshop directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save files to your hard disk first. Then transfer them to the network or removable drive in the Finder or in Windows Explorer. To retrieve files, copy them in the Finder or in Windows Explorer from the network or removable drive to your hard disk. You can then open the files in Photoshop. This workflow avoids problems that occur when network system setups or removable media device drivers are incompatible with the operating system or Photoshop."

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 1
D Fosse LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it should be clear that working directly over a network is something you should never do:

I did notice something odd here. The temp file has a .tmp extension, but the jpeg doesn't have an extension at all. This suggests that file extensions are hidden in the OS settings, and that the temp file actually has a double extension. So the first thing I'd do is to turn file extension visibility on, and check what the real extension is here.

And then never save directly to a network drive ever again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0