Highlighted

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

did anyone face this trouble? When I use a Free Transform (Ctrl+T or by Edit menu), holding the Shift button doesn't keep aspect ratio. I have to make sure that Lock Aspect Ratio in the Control Panel is On, itit takes some more attention than I'm ready to pay for this operation )

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Waller | Adobe Community Professional

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

did anyone face this trouble? When I use a Free Transform (Ctrl+T or by Edit menu), holding the Shift button doesn't keep aspect ratio. I have to make sure that Lock Aspect Ratio in the Control Panel is On, itit takes some more attention than I'm ready to pay for this operation )

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by John Waller | Adobe Community Professional

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).

• Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Go to Edit>Preferences>Performance and enable Legacy Composting then reboot your photoshop.

Screenshot_3.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for compositing issues, not issues using the Transform tool.

PS 2019 – Color Blend Mode Buggy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you point me to the release notes?

For further releases it would be awesome if you had a link to a clean list of things that have changed so we know before we have to scramble to figure it out.

Obviously I love the product, but it's REALLY aggravating to do an update and to have to keep combing through all the things Adobe reset or flipped around when trying to work, especially when my workspaces keep getting overwritten and my performance keeps degrading with each update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First link in my post above ("New and enhanced features...")

but it's REALLY aggravating to do an update and to have to keep combing through all the things Adobe reset or flipped around when trying to work, especially when my workspaces keep getting overwritten and my performance keeps degrading with each update.

Agreed. That's why I read the Adobe blogs, release notes and forum posts before upgrading.

I used to be an early (instant) adopter but not any more. Been burned too often.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many others, I still don't get why Adobe felt the need to change a Transform tool behaviour (shift to constrain proportions) that's been in place forever in Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

Not to mention the text tool. As old as time, yet another thing that no longer seems to work (it's invisible) and I can't tell if its a bug or "feature" lol.

There's just a loose definition of "enhancement" at adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be great if Adobe gave us "why" as well as what has changed in the Release Notes?

We're all left to wonder why things have changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines