Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Legacy CEP Extension panels don't load on Apple M1 computers

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

I have an iMac (24", M1, 2021) and Monterey installed. I have Photoshop version 23.1 installed. Now I have the following problem, my extensions are no longer displayed in my menu. What option do I have so that my extension are displayed and started.

thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Hello, CEP extensions do not work on native Apple Silicon. UXP does.

You need to run Photoshop under Rosetta mode (right-click on the application icon in the applications folder, select Get info, then Run in Rosetta) to use CEP extensions. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, CEP extensions do not work on native Apple Silicon. UXP does.

You need to run Photoshop under Rosetta mode (right-click on the application icon in the applications folder, select Get info, then Run in Rosetta) to use CEP extensions. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that was the right answer. It works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Photoshop version 23.4 or later is not supported CEP then how to use that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it's possible that your extensions are not yet compatible with the M1.

If that is the case, you're probably best of contacting the company/developer who made the extension and ask if they plan on supporting it anytime soon. If the extension is at least somewhat commercial/maintained, an update will probably be on its way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i enable my extension panel native on my M1 mac mini with photoshop 23 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most extension panels need Intel architecture so run Photoshop with Rosetta (right click the application > Get Info) and you should be able to add it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not getting Rosetta option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you check by righ clicking psnicon in the finder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Ps 2021 - the "Extensions" menu option is greyed out in Window>Extensions, and the panels I had on my custom workspace are gone.

I have no clue what may be causing this, as I've actually used them since updating, and it's entirely new behaviour that wasn't corrected by restarting Ps or reinstalling the Extensions. Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shall reply to myself: upon digging through Photoshop's Settings, I found that CEP extensions are now considered "Legacy", and as such will be disabled by default.

The solution is to go: Edit > Preferences > Plugins > Legacy Extensions > Load Extension Panels - this will prompt you to restart Ps, and then CEP extensions will be reinstated (though some show some issues - give me TychPanel back ☹)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This isn't working for me. I too am not seeing Extensions under the Window menu (Ps 2021 - current vers.). All I see is 'search for extensions'. I used to have an Extensions listing under Windows that had flyouts to my extensions. One of my extensions (Luminosity Masking) has disappeared and I wanted to reload it. I had already checked the Prefs menu and my option box for Load Legacy Extensions was already checked on and I'm still not seeing them. I'm on a Win 10 PC. This is pretty frustrating. I also did a manual checking via Common Files and also via appdata > roaming, etc. Cannot find my extensions or get them to be viewable from the Window menu in Ps 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the process the individual above specified. It didn't work for me. I already had show legacy extensions checked on & they still weren't showing up.

I then called Adobe Tech Spt and the person I spoke with couldn't figure it out either (and she rolled back my version of Ps 2021 to a previous version - which caused all sorts of other problems for and made me lose custom skies I'd created and added to Sky Replacement, a fair number of custom Actions, other Prefs I'd set up, etc.).

After that experience with Adobe Tech Spt (now I'm afraid to call them again for anything b/c in past the guys I'd talked with had been very helpful) I tried one more thing....  I looked in the Edit > Menus hierarchy. Scrolled down to the category for Windows. And, within there found the category for Extensions. What I saw there was that the Eye symbol next to legacy extensions was off. It was blank. I clicked to add an Eye icon there and closed that out. My legacy extensions are now visible again. I don't understand why a Tech Spt worker wouldn't have been trained to look there too...

It seems like coding (by Adobe) may have turned that eye symbol to off - that is a bad thing to do. I know I certainly didn't turn any of the eyes off in the Menus area. The only thing I'd ever used that Menus area for before was to color code fequently used features. And, Extensions is not something I'd color coded so I know I didn't turn it off by mistake.

So I suggest anyone who doesn't see their legacy Extensions check their Preferences 1st and if it's enabled there then check their Edit > Menus > Window > Extensions to be sure the eye symbol is visible next to it. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is much easier than installing an Extension via Exchange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option toi select "Load Extension Panels" itself is disabled.  Any work around for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. Mine is grayed out and cannot be checked either. Help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the 2 different user replies/solutions above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Please helpMacminiM1_PS2021_Pref.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have reverted back to the earlier version and have all the extension and features working (including plugins like Topaz etc) which wasn’t working on the upgrade. Incidentally, got the delivery of my MacBook Pro M1 on 10 Mar and seems the new upgrade had also simultaneously launched around then, which created the anxiety and confusion.

Kind regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am nit sure this is the right place to put a suggestion buty I 'll do anyway. There are so many people working on the new mac with the M1 chip complaining about the extensiuon panel not loading any longer after Photoshop version 22.3. And the topic is asked, commented, discussed in multiple threads so it is challenging to find a clear answer immediately.

What I learned is that from version 22.3 the old extensioon/plugin do not work. This why the option lo load the extensions is greyed out.

It is a change of architecture and that implies that the plugin/extension need to be rewritten to work on a processor  M1.

The only way we can still work with the previous plugin is to operate Photoshop under Rosetta.

If you want to do this you go into the App folder, right click on Photoshop, click for "Get info" and then chose Run under Rosetta. In this way you lose the advantages of running with the new M1 but you can recover your plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrea,

To use extensions that rely on CEP, install and run them in Rosetta mode only. Once you launch under Rosetta, you may need to go to Window / Extensions (legacy) to open your CEP panels again.

Note: You will not see the "Open in Rosetta" option if you are right-clicking on an "alias".

If you are a developer and would like to update your plugin to work with Photoshop in native mode, see UXP for Adobe Photoshop

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works! You really made my day. But some of my extensions are discontinued is that means I wouldn't be able to use them in the future with a navtive version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top! with Tosetta is working, many thanks Andrea 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrea for your solution, and Mohit for your response.

Andrea's solution (using Rosetta 2) worked for me to continue using Adobe Color Themes in Photoshop on my M1 Mac.

Is Adobe Color Themes considered a legacy extension or will this be updated in the future to continue working on silicon Macs.

Thanks,

Alistair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines