Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change color in specific parts of map

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding changing colors in an image. I have a .jpg of a large topographical map. Is it possible to change the colors of specific areas of the map. For example, I want to change the color of all of the forests in the map to a different green (the forests are non-contiguous). If this is possible, how would I do this in Photoshop?

image_sample.jpg

Can I also change the saturation for a specific color within the image, like the green in the forests or blue in the water?

Thanks,

Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if a Selection can be made of the areas in which you want to change the color, it can be done. The specifics of which technique to use depends upon the image sharpness and the colors involved. In order to provide instructions please post a 100% size larger segment of the map, in sharp focus rather than the sample you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Norman. Unfortunately, it is really hard to select the areas since they are not contiguous and there are so many of them. I thinking the technique you mentioned is probably not going to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Filters> Camera Raw Filter for advanced edit.
You can also use the Adjustment techniques:
Image> Adjustment ( Replace color - Selective color )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Omar. I will try those techniques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian,

I believe you can use Color Range under the Selection tools to accomplish what you want. I did a very quick test and was able to select the green areas of a topo map by clicking on the green color and adjusting the Fuzziness and Range of the tool (first image). The selected areas are shown in various levels of red (because I chose Quick Mask in the Selection Preview. With this selection I created a mask on a duplicate of the map, and then used a simple Hue/Saturation adjustment level to change the green colors to the purplish colors shown on the second image.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 8.03.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 8.05.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rafael. I found I can also make the changes I want using Replace Color. I will try your method as well.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines